Freeze first column and first row for side by side questions for better scrolling | XM Community
Question

Freeze first column and first row for side by side questions for better scrolling

• 8 June 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi Qubies,
I am trying to write custom CSS on a side by side question such that both my first column and first row can be frozen panes. For example, I have 25 rows and 10 columns, with the first row containing answers and first column containing options. The high number of options necessitates scrolling both horizontally and vertically, especially while on mobile. In order to freeze panes I tried using the "position: webkit-sticky" functionality. It works successfully on the first column. However, it does not work well on the top row.
Here is the code I am using:

.QuestionBody {    position: relative; }
.Headings th { position: -webkit-sticky;    position: sticky;    background-color: grey;    top: 0px; }
.Answers th { position: -webkit-sticky;    position: sticky;    background-color: blue;    top: 0px; }
   .Choice th {    position: -webkit-sticky;    position: sticky;    background-color: whitesmoke;    left: 0px; }

The only one that works is the .Choice line.

I appreciate your help!
Thanks.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi Ananya,
I'm not able to get the first row to stick. Perhaps its how Qualtrics has configured the layout.
Meanwhile, you could do this. Use the code to make the first column sticky and add this JS to repeat your header after every 5 rows. Hope this helps:
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnReady(function () {
    let header = this.questionContainer.querySelector("thead").outerHTML;
    let all_rows = this.questionContainer.querySelectorAll("tr.Choice");

for (let i = 4; i < all_rows.length; i += 5) {
        all_rows[i].insertAdjacentHTML("afterend", header);
    }
});

Hope this helps.

Badge +2

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/38209#Comment_38209Hi Ahmed, any idea why the first row isn't sticking? I'm trying to figure this problem out myself. Thanks!

Badge

Hi @lailav did you find an answer to stick the first row?

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

@tanya1802 You can try the below to get the first Row and first Column to be sticky for a Side by Side question. Update for your question’s QID. Adapted from here.

#QID1 > div.Inner.BorderColor.SBSMatrix > div > fieldset > fieldset > div > table {
display: block !important;
position: relative;
overflow-y: scroll !important;
height: 500px !important;
overflow-x: scroll !important;
width: 900px !important;
}

#QID1 > div.Inner.BorderColor.SBSMatrix > div > fieldset > fieldset > div > table > thead {
top: 0;
z-index: 3;
position: sticky;
background-color: white;
}

#QID1 .c1 {
left: 0;
z-index: 2;
position: sticky;
background-color: white;
}

Badge

Hi @Tom_1842! Thank you for your help! However, I am getting an error for the code. It says something around a part being illegal… I don’t know how to approach that because I don’t know any coding… Would you be able to help me?

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

@tanya1802 I think you added the CSS code to the questions JavaScript. Try adding it to the Style section of Look and Feel instead.

Badge

Hi @Tom_1842 ! Yes, I realised after a while haha. However, the first column is not sticky. The code for the row works but for the column it does not...

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

Hmm it is working for side by side question on my end.. what browser are you using? Could you post a preview link to the survey or a qsf file so it might be investigated further?

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

@tanya1802  like we chatted about, attached is a QSF file where the sticky side-by-side column and row is working for me in a survey with Classic layout. Since this will not display well on mobile devices and you anticipate respondents taking this survey on mobile, I have also included the Carry Forward implementation where respondents select a list of organizations and those selections are Carried Forward to become the rows for 3 subsequent Matrix questions.

Leave a Reply