Rank order | XM Community
Solved

Rank order

• 21 August 2018
  • 6 replies

I am trying to do a rank order where participants put in their order of things and when they do up the questions, each set of questions for each item will come out in the order that they have placed the items in. Is this possible? Display logic takes too many programming and is not feasible for our study which has 20 items and the permutations are too many to do display logic by. Or if there are any directions to other threads are fine. Tried looking but they are not what I am searching for.
icon

Best answer by TomG 21 August 2018, 12:59

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +33
you first store rank1, rank2...so on in embedded variables and than on next questions apply display logic using these embedded variables rank1, rank2...so on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@Xxtan,

You need to sort the items using JavaScript or a web service. Use the ranks and the names as the inputs to your sort routine. The output would be embedded variables where rank1=name of highest ranked item, rank2=name of 2nd highest ranked item, etc.

I should add that if you go this route and pipe the rank variables into questions, you may need a script to decode the question answers for each of the 20 things into their own variables after the respondent has answered the follow-up questions. That makes it much easier to analyze and report the results.
> @bansalpeeyush29 said:
> you first store rank1, rank2...so on in embedded variables and than on next questions apply display logic using these embedded variables rank1, rank2...so on.

Sorry, might need a bit more help for the embedded data help. Do you have a link to refer to? Tried looking for it on the website but still clueless...
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @Xxtan said:
> > @bansalpeeyush29 said:
> > you first store rank1, rank2...so on in embedded variables and than on next questions apply display logic using these embedded variables rank1, rank2...so on.
>
> Sorry, might need a bit more help for the embedded data help. Do you have a link to refer to? Tried looking for it on the website but still clueless...

@Xxtan - You are struggling because rank1, rank2, etc. don't exist as values Qualtrics provides. To get those, you have to sort the items as I described in my answer.
> @TomG said:
> > @Xxtan said:
> > > @bansalpeeyush29 said:
> > > you first store rank1, rank2...so on in embedded variables and than on next questions apply display logic using these embedded variables rank1, rank2...so on.
> >
> > Sorry, might need a bit more help for the embedded data help. Do you have a link to refer to? Tried looking for it on the website but still clueless...
>
> @Xxtan - You are struggling because rank1, rank2, etc. don't exist as values Qualtrics provides. To get those, you have to sort the items as I described in my answer.

I see, thanks! WIll try the javascripting, have no prior knowledge, so just trying out. Please point me to any source that teaches this, if there is! Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @Xxtan said:
> I see, thanks! WIll try the javascripting, have no prior knowledge, so just trying out. Please point me to any source that teaches this, if there is! Thanks!

Unfortunately, this isn't an easy problem to start learning JavaScript with. You'll need to pipe your rank and name data into objects within an array, sort the array, then loop through the array and save the names to embedded data fields.

This article may help.

Leave a Reply