Response rate is low?? | XM Community

Response rate is low??

• 27 August 2018
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Hi All,

Are there any sort of benchmarks available from Qualtrics on what a good survey achieves in terms of response rates?

Regards,
Samarth

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
There are several interesting blogs that I believe would be useful for you to skim through:

- Send Too Many Invites and Your Panel Members Might Dump You
- Target Audience: 5 Ways You're Annoying Your Survey Respondents
- 3 Survey Question Mistakes that Frustrate Your Respondents
- Increasing Response Rates
- 5 Survey Incentive Metrics for Getting Actionable Insights and Improving Response Rates

Some additional info which will be helpful:
- Never send surveys invitations on a Monday morning or Friday afternoon.

- Do not incentivize the participants; instead, provide a context of the purpose of the survey and the relevance to the participant, producing genuine, thoughtful responses.

- Adapt the message to whomever you're speaking to; one way to really customize invitations and surveys is through piped text, which will allow you to insert names of individuals and companies that you're reaching out to.

- use email inline question

- Assure that the information will help confidentially; highlight the survey deadline; include the survey's length to manage time expectations; and keep the invite short and to the point.

- Send reminders 3 and 5 days after the first invitations were sent out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +33
Few notes:
Keep survey as short as possible.
Program mobile friendly survey.
Keep track of LOI and modify if it's high.
Keep open end questions non mandatory or avoid.
Avoid grids with large number of options.
Make survey interactive, using images and interactive questions.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
I think this primarily depends on the type of survey you are sending. EG: A Market Research survey that was sent to 100,000 consumers, essentially a cold-call, would be doing well to net 5% response rate. However, a Transnational Survey sent to your customers, who just received a service and have a relationship with your company, you might expect more like 20-40%.

You should only care about the response rate as it relates to your goals and population size. Again- if you have a market research survey that aims to get the feelings/attitudes of a group of 100,000 consumers, you only need 2,300 of them to respond in order to be able to present your results with a high degree of confidence. So a 2% response rate is all you need!

Consider trying to search for bechmarks that keep in mind:
1. The type of survey you are sending.
2. Population size of the group you are sending the survey to.
3. What you are trying to learn from the survey. Do you need the results to be statistically significant?
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Hi @bansalpeeyush29 and @Mohammedali_Rajapakar_Ugam ,

Thanks for your responses, my questions was particular to the numbers if available at all. I am aware of the best practices. Thanks again!

Regards,
Samarth
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Hi @kate,

Thanks for the calculator :smile. Really helpful!

Regards,
Samarth

Leave a Reply