Can I add embedded data fields to participants after a survey is closed? | XM Community
Solved

Can I add embedded data fields to participants after a survey is closed?

• 10 September 2018
  • 13 replies

In the participant info that is uploaded into my contacts list I have an Employee ID and Employee email. In my current survey I forgot to Embed these fields into the survey flow. When I add them into the flow, post survey nothing changes in the data export. Ultimately, my export needs to have the email and ID but they are not there.
icon

Best answer by AnthonyR 10 September 2018, 22:38

View original

13 replies

Hello @bames ,

Embedded data dosen't work retroactively.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
You can add and manually code the fields, but you can't retroactively add that data from the panel. the closest you could come is downloading the data and panel and manually updating the empty fields with the appropriate data. then you can import the updated data set for use in in platform reporting.
Thanks @Shashi and @AnthonyR - appreciate the responses. so, my basic newbie mistake here is that I don't have enough information flowing into the survey results export to be able to manually map to the panel and fill in the blanks. Does that make sense?
> @bames said:
> Thanks @Shashi and @AnthonyR - appreciate the responses. so, my basic newbie mistake here is that I don't have enough information flowing into the survey results export to be able to manually map to the panel and fill in the blanks. Does that make sense?

Before exporting the data from "data and Analysis", you can edit the embedded data.
To do this follow this page
thanks @Shashi. I don't think that's quite what I'm looking for but I think this is also showing me that what I do want isn't possible. Appreciate the help.
Last chance here. Do you know how I can get the recipient email into the data export? I feel that should be a default field in all exports but it's not actually flowing in either.
> @bames said:
> Last chance here. Do you know how I can get the recipient email into the data export? I feel that should be a default field in all exports but it's not actually flowing in either.

The recipient email is present in the data export with the column name "RecipientEmail", provided distribution type is Emails
Hmm...nope. That didn't map in either. it's just blank when I select it. I think I figured out a workaround on the export and mapping. I'll be sure to include the appropriate fields in the survey flow next time. Thanks again for taking the time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
hi @bames

"RecipientEmail" is a present only if the data is sent from contact list or an authenciator has been used in survey and the respondent has successfully authenticated. And embedded data cannot be added after survey as it invalidates the data , But if you have the data required in survey just not in proper format to make reports or whatever you can use
Bucketing Variable Creation
or similar options to reformat a data

Hope this Helps 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +33
you can update these with data update API for already collected responses, or you can creat csv file with whole data and import the same.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
@bames, post adding the embedded data in survey flow, can you try and participant in the survey preview link and check if the data getting captured for other records?

post that you can also try if the below help:

https://www.qualtrics.com/support/employee-experience/creating-ee-project/participants-tab/participants-ee/participants-tools-ee/#UpdateAllResponseswithCurrentMetadata
> @bansalpeeyush29 said:
> you can update these with data update API for already collected responses, or you can creat csv file with whole data and import the same.

Is there documentation on how to do this, @bansalpeeyush29?

According to an FAQ answer at the bottom of this documentation article, Qualtrics confirms this is possible: "If you forgot to put Embedded Data in the Survey Flow, you can add it to your data retroactively, so long as there are values in the contact list. See the Embedded Data support page for further instruction."

Except the Embedded Data page doesn't provide documentation on how to make sure the data is added retroactively. There are just info notes saying that you can.

What I assume this means is that if I add embedded fields after the survey has been deployed, when I run my next report, it should include those embedded fields in the survey response, if they existed in the contact list prior to distribution.

Can anyone confirm this for me?

I know this is a super old thread, but I thought I'd add some steps that worked for me.

1. Check that your contact list has the fields you are hoping to import

2. Confirm that data was in the list before the response was created

3. Add the desired embedded field(s) in the survey flow with the field named the same as it is in the contact list

4. Go to the Data & Analysis tab. The data will refresh and your new data fields should be populated with the data from the contact list.

My understanding is that the contact is associated with an invitation ID for your distribution, and that is matched to the response ID. So, when you tell the survey you need those pre-existing fields it knows where to pull it from through that association.
Hope that helps!

Leave a Reply