How are people handling response rate tables? | XM Community

How are people handling response rate tables?

• 28 November 2017
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7
  • Level 3 ●●●
  • 58 replies
I know that they have recently added functionality in Vocalize so you can show some basic response rate data for individual distributions, but I need to show at the survey level, divided by our fiscal quarter. So I am still maintaining response rate tables in Excel and then importing to Vocalize and displaying as an image in my dashboards. Have to replace the table manually every week. (Doing this manually also allows me to exclude emails that came back undeliverable . . . I just subtract the # of bounces from my total sent.) Wonder what others are doing to accurately display this key data to stakeholders in the way that works for your company.

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4
This should be a feature in Vocalize for sure. Such an important piece of information. I recall the Vocalize support agent told me it was on the list. That widget and rolling date option for filtering are the 2 key must-haves 🙂

Currently I am using a super poor solution. We send survey once a month and I here change embedded data field "month" to fixed value of 10-2017 (october 2017) untill the next sendout. Then I create a simple bar chart in Vocalize where I can show how many responses I have per month Oct, Nov, etc on X axis and in the description field of the widget I write the count of contacts (maximum responses) as static value. So count of responses on bar chart and maximum responses in description.

This does not give a rate but some indication of how far they are from getting response from everyone.

Does not require that much work other than changing "month" in embedded data before sendout and gives an OK output for now.
Userlevel 6
Badge +45
We use Qualtrics to administer course evaluations at my university and response rates are the first thing that faculty ask about. I wanted faculty to be able to see response rates at both the instructor level and course level (note: Vocalize reports are at the instructor level, but most faculty teach multiple courses). In order to do this, I added an embedded field that shows Total Enrollment for each course, and pulled this information from a contacts list. Then I built out a simple table in Vocalize that shows enrollment in one column, responses in another, and each course has a separate row. This allows faculty to calculate their own response rates at either level. The only problem I'm running into with this is when a student retakes the survey, it counts twice unless I go into Data & Analytics and make the correction manually.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Have you tried doing a custom metric = Count / solicit number (manual input)? Then you will have a metric you can plug into widgets. You'd still have to manually update every week, but you would have the control to exclude bounces/fails, and it keeps everything in the same environment.

Downside is that you wouldn't have historic data if you updated the solicit number every week unless you wanted to make a new custom metric every week (which would get unruly if you didn't "archive" the result and recycle custom metric slots).

Leave a Reply