Piped text - modifying | XM Community
Solved

Piped text - modifying

• 13 September 2018
  • 6 replies

I’m fairly new to Qualtric and seeking some advice.
I have a side-by-side question with 3 statements (home, friends, pub) with 1 col with 6 responses (never to everyday).
I want to ‘pipe’ the response (never to everyday) to the statement into the next question.

Eg, In the side-by-side question (Q1), if a person selects ‘everyday’ (response) for the first statement, which is ‘at home’, the next question is:
(Q2) Thinking about a usual drinking occasion when you are drinking {‘everyday’} at home, how much would you usually drink?
My problem is I can’t seem to work out how to pipe in the column ‘response’ into Q2.

When I go to Q2, I click on ‘Piped Text…’, then ‘Survey Question’, then my Q1, and all the options are based on the statements, and I can’t figure out how to pipe the response. Do I need to build my own code for something like this?

For example, if I selected ‘every day – selected choices’ from the list available under Q1 (via piped text… menu), all the statements are piped in.

Thinking about a usual drinking occasion when you are drinking ('Home, Friends, Pub') at home, how much alcohol would you usually drink?
And I want the piped in text to be ‘everyday’.

Sorry for the long question, and thanks in advance for any tips. And I can copy the questions from Qualtric if that helps
icon

Best answer by LaT 17 September 2018, 06:24

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
hi @JanetteM

!
As you can see to get the response of the marked section piped you need to select the highlighted option (Blue)
Hope this helps 🙂
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi 👋🏻 Janette,

We have to first store these texts to embedded variables by writing if conditions in javascript. Later use these variables for piping purpose.
Hi Priyanka,
Thanks for the response. I like the sound of what you suggests, but not sure how to implement it.
How would i create 'embedded variables' and where would i store them? In my Survey Library?
Can you possibly provide an example of the code for the javascript? I will also search the Qualtrics forum for useful code/explanations.

I also made an error in my original post, the first question containing the three statements and four responses is a 'Matrix Table' not 'Side-by-side'.

I hope the screenshot of my questions is visible and provide a clear picture of what i'm trying to do.
!

Many thanks,
Janette
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
> @JanetteM said:
> Hi Priyanka,
> Thanks for the response. I like the sound of what you suggests, but not sure how to implement it.
> How would i create 'embedded variables' and where would i store them? In my Survey Library?
> Can you possibly provide an example of the code for the javascript? I will also search the Qualtrics forum for useful code/explanations.
>
> I also made an error in my original post, the first question containing the three statements and four responses is a 'Matrix Table' not 'Side-by-side'.
>
> I hope the screenshot of my questions is visible and provide a clear picture of what i'm trying to do.
> !
>
> Many thanks,
> Janette
>

Follow the image to pipe in the option selected for home(and similarly for friends, pub)
!
Thanks so much Nic_Ugam. Your suggestion worked a treat! think i must have tried all other options in the drop menu other than this... (feel a bit silly that i' missed it). Oh well, least i'm a bit familiar with the forum now. my next task is to modify the placement of labels above numbers in a slider question (i only want the label to be above every second value). If i get stuck, i may seek the communities' advice. Thank again 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
Hi @JanetteM ,
If you could accept the answer that i posted it would be helpful for the people , coming with a similar query in future.
and
Happy that i could help 🙂

Leave a Reply