Recode "Topics" from the text analysis tool into numeric values/a numeric variable | XM Community
Solved

Recode "Topics" from the text analysis tool into numeric values/a numeric variable

• 14 September 2018
  • 5 replies

Hi there,

I do have a question regarding the text analysis tool and reporting options in the RC.
We want to use the text analysis tool to code open answers and it works super well. I also noticed that I can display the shares in the reporting section.
However, I was wondering if it is possible to convert the "topics" into numeric values to use it for further analysis/ in the crosstabs section etc.
I tried to create a new variable by bucketing the recoded values into a new variable.
Unfortunately, even though I have just numbers in there, it's still a string variable.
Is there any option/workaround to tackle this?

Looking forward to your feedback.
icon

Best answer by MohammedAli_Rajapkar 14 September 2018, 12:54

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +33
Generally when we do OE verbatims coding we provides numeric values or codes to responses and than we group to give them NETs.

It is not possible to convert topics to numeric codes as they are like NET only and are textual.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
You can try creating an embedded data by using custom field creation and assign a numeric value to it based on the topic variable and i hope you can use that embedded data in the crosstab.

Here is the documentation:
https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/data-and-analysis-module/data/add-new-fields/manual-variables/
Hi @bansalpeeyush29,

thanks for answering so quickly.
The approach you described was exactly the way we've done it in the past. Once we've downloaded the data from our former survey tool, we've coded them automatically in our analysis software with numeric values.
I really like the reporting functions for one specific project and if possible I'd like to avoid exporting the data.
Do you code the OE verbatims in Qualtrics?
Userlevel 7
Badge +33
No it is not possible to code OE verbatims within Qualtrics, you have to extract data and dhave to do by some other tool and than you can import this back to Qualtrics and can use as per your requirement
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi @koberfeld

For coding data you can use exported csv file from survey

Leave a Reply