Use of SMS surveys on university campus (within University license)

MichelleCMichelleC East Lansing, MIFounding Community Member Guru ✭✭

Use of SMS surveys on university campus (within University license)

Just wondering if any of my fellow academic types have been using SMS within their surveys under the University licenses. We've had some light interest in it, but not enough to purchase the add-on at this point, although it's something we're considering.

Have you found a great call for it on your campuses or not really a demand? If you have used it, does the university cover the cost of the responses or is that up to the researcher? How do you manage this? Have your researchers found it easy to use with good response rates? How are you compiling the contact list to send these surveys? SIS data?

Any experience feedback would be helpful

Best Answer

• britainbritain Ann Arbor, Michigan Guru ✭✭
    edited January 2018 Accepted Answer

Hi all --

At Michigan, we covered the initial buy-in for the SMS feature centrally. Interested schools or units obtain the 50K buckets by providing a billing code, then we enable it for their division and allocate the number of messages purchased to a selected researcher or two from the team that will actually distribute the surveys.

A major problem is that it's difficult for us to track how many messages have been bought and used from within our Qualtrics admin interface, so we have been keeping track offline so far. Only a handful of teams have expressed interest and provided funding at this time, so this hasn't become unwieldy yet.

SMS is a great way to reach respondents who might not be able to respond to a web-based survey and we have a research unit in our School of Social Work who use it prodigiously. We identified one of their researchers for early access to this Community site, so hopefully they join soon to provide details.

Answers

• AnthonyRAnthonyR Tucson AzFounding Community Member Superuser ✭✭✭✭

I can't speak to the academic portion of this much, but I will say SMS surveys are fantastic for quick user feedback, especially among college aged people. It's fairly simple to get someone to send a handful of texts as opposed to getting them to open a webpage.

• MichelleCMichelleC East Lansing, MIFounding Community Member Guru ✭✭

@AnthonyR , I know I"m more willing to do so! LOL :D

• JulieTJulieT WisconsinFounding Community Member Sage ✭✭✭

@MichelleC a department recently requested SMS for a specific project but ultimately declined when faced with paying for it. We're under a system license and I really wish Qualtrics admins could get together to petition UW for some of these add ons. It seems like Qualtrics is on the bottom of the software list for the CIOs, even though it's widely used. SMS is relatively cheap.

@JulieT we we ran into was that we had so many individual departments, researchers and colleges using it (and paying for it!) that it made more sense for us to get an enterprise license. We started off really basic, but are going to be surveying our users to see how they'd use some of the add-on features (like SMS) so when we do have to go ask for more money for a renewal, we'll have some data on how they're using it, why we're asking for more, etc. I'm thinking that if we have enough interest to justify the use of SMS, individual labs would cover the response costs, while we pay for the add-on fee centrally.

Is UW using multiple licenses on campus?

• JulieTJulieT WisconsinFounding Community Member Sage ✭✭✭

@MichelleC No, actually we have a UW System license. Meaning all universities have it (Madison, Oshkosh, Milwaukee, etc.) Pretty sure cost is figured per student. But the CIOs determine what features we have. I was super excited this spring when the System IT Procurement person sent us a licensing model which included dashboards and every platform add-on. My dreams were crushed when that didn't happen.

@JulieT , oh I see. What a bummer! :'(

• uhrxx005uhrxx005 Community Member Guru ✭✭

I know this thread is pretty old, but has anyone come up with a good mechanism for tracking SMS usage by account? We are only able to track the total amount of SMS's used system wide by month.

@uhrxx005 we just recently got our license upgraded to the full Research Core and SMS is part of it. Based on my understanding of how we have to manage this in conjunction with Qualtrics, there is NOT away to do so. Qualtrics might be able to produce a report for you, but I don't think there is anything that brand admins can pull.

One thing we did ask Qualtrics to prioritize was some dashboard type tools that could be used by BAs to track this very thing. A colleague at UNC said they have had similar difficulties at their University.

Sign In to Comment