Record ranking without showing question | XM Community
Solved

Record ranking without showing question

• 17 September 2018
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +38
We have a list of 19 factors as to why people choose to attend a graduate school program. We essentially want to do a pick and rank question with these 19 factors but because there are so many and some are wordy that format just doesn't look right for the user.

We have split this up into two questions.
* Q1: Multiple Select - check all of the factors you considered
* Q2: Rank - of the factors you considered (carried forward from Q1) rank anywhere from 2-10 of those factors

I am skipping over Q2 if they only select 1 option in the first question. My problem is that I want that option to be ranked as 1 in the data for Q2 without the respondent having to see the question and record the ranking. Is there a way to automate this?

I want to avoid the following solutions:
* Changing the question type to pick, group, and rank
* Filtering the data on the back end and editing Q2 as there is a risk that the analyst will forget to do this step.
icon

Best answer by Akdashboard 19 September 2018, 15:54

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
What type of ranking question you are using?
Userlevel 7
Badge +38
@LaT Text Box. We aren't huge fans of drag and drop. And I've had browser/OS issues with the radio button format in past surveys to our students.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
You can create an embedded data to hold the option text which should be ranked 1.

Please follow the below points comments:
https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/1904/how-to-use-answers-from-earlier-question-responses-in-later-survey-questions
Userlevel 7
Badge +38
@Mohammedali_Rajapakar_Ugam I can imagine what to do to force this. But display logic gets me a little confused. If I have display logic on the rank question that hides it from a respondent only picking one item in the previous question rank, will the embedded default value still record if the question is not shown? Or do I need to figure out how to put javascript on the question that autoadvances the question when the previous multiple selection count is 1?
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
@bstrahin - The easiest way to do this would be to create branching logic in the survey flow and pipe the ranking selections in to embedded data options.

For example:
Branch if more than one option is selected, then top choice = rank value lowest, last choice - rank value highest (etc.)
Then also, Branch if only one option is selected, top choice = selected choice.

If this doesn't make sense, let me know and I will post a pick of my survey flow.

I do something very similar to track events leading up to generating a call for my business. I essentially ask them to select everything they did prior to generating a call, then ask them to "rank" them from top to bottom based on the order that they do the given action. However, if they don't do anything else, then I need to record that their first action is to call us.
Userlevel 7
Badge +38
@Akdashboard so if I'm understanding you correctly I would run any analysis on the embedded data that is merging the forced 1's and storing the given rank from the rank question. That is the work around rather than getting it to store in the ranking question itself and using those variables for analysis?
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Correct, you would no longer use the actual question data. Instead it just serves to populate the embedded data that you will use for analysis.
Userlevel 7
Badge +38
Thanks everyone!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
You will have to apply branch logic to check the selected count and if it's 1 then store the selected choice label in the embedded data.
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@bstrahin - A better way to do this is to use JavaScript added to the ranking question that checks to see if there is only one carryover choice and if there is give that choice a rank of one then click the next button. This approach keeps your data clean..as if the respondent actually answered the ranking question.

If you have the back button enabled, you'll want to hide it on the question after the ranking question.

Leave a Reply