Deleting responses | XM Community
Solved

Deleting responses

• 19 September 2018
  • 9 replies

I want to delete the responses of the surveys I ran last year and then change the dates to run them again this year. But when I go to the data analysis tab, even though I've only got 20-30 responses at most, it is taking forever for the web page to display them and then it takes ages to delete them too. Is there a better way of doing this? I don't want to copy the surveys and set them up again because I want to keep the links and QR codes the same as last time.
icon

Best answer by iloreto 20 September 2018, 02:12

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Use delete response API.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Deletion can be done with select also , select if start date previous year and delete.
Userlevel 7
Badge +33
Use below delete API

https://api.qualtrics.com/docs/delete-response

Download data and select responseids you want to delete.
We've already downloaded the data, we just want to clear it from the survey. I tried selecting the responses and deleting them but it takes just as long. But until the responses are displayed in the data & analysis tab (allegedly being reindexed for speedier reading, though this takes ages), the delete tool is greyed out. Is there any way to delete them all without having to view them first? And sorry, I'm not a programmer or anything like that so the last reply went completely over my head!
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
If your survey has data only for last year delete all response. In data analysis go tools on right and delete all.
Hello @metalman,
No need to select individual responses to delete them.
I also noticed that when all the columns are 'hidden' in the Data page, the view loads much faster.

1. From Data & Analysis page
2. In the Data tab
3. Select Tools
4. Select Delete Data
5. Select All Responses
6. Check-off "_Decrement all quotas_"
7. Check-off "_I am sure..._"
8. Select "Delete ALL responses"

This will purge all your results and keep your URLs

Good luck!

--iL
Badge
Another thing you can try is simply to run your survey, but create a new tag called "2018 results" under the Data & Analysis > Data screen. You can do this by hovering over a column header and the "+" will show up. Then add a new variable, and mark it as a tag in the drop down.

Then when you go to analyze the data, you should be able to filter the data by the tag that you have set up.
Badge

I'm experiencing the same hurdle as metalman and the suggestions above are not really helpful becuase they do not overcome our problem, Im afraid.
We know that you can delete all responses by selecting them all and then deleting them. But it just takes too long to display all results, so you loose a lot of time by waiting for all the results to be displayed, after which you can select them and then it also takes a lot of time before the results are really erased.
Copying the survey is not a valuable option, because then it would take me a lot of time to copy paste the new links.
Filtering the data and results so that only results from last year are displayed is also not very satisfying, because we would then keep so much data which is really unnecessary and it is hard to keep the overview.
I really hope that it will be possible in the future to simply reset a survey. So I'm hopeing there will be a software update. Many other survey software have this feature as it is really convenient.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

One option to consider to temporarily implement a default deletion policy under Admin --> Data Privacy --> Retention policy --> Response policies
Set a default deletion policy to automatically delete responses to the time period that will hit the time frame you need to delete. If you don't want to continue to delete responses, however, you'll need to remove that policy immedately after.
Not ideal, but an option for you.
Anything beyond this, you need to submit as an idea. Not sure how much uptake that will get since majority of us do not delete research data.

Leave a Reply