Help with syntax for a mathematical operation with piped text? | XM Community
Solved

Help with syntax for a mathematical operation with piped text?

• 20 October 2018
  • 2 replies

Hello all,

I am attempting to use the following line of syntax:

$e{ ( abs(118 - q://QID72/ChoiceTextEntryValue ) + abs(35 - q://QID84/ChoiceTextEntryValue ) + abs(76 - q://QID88/ChoiceTextEntryValue ) + abs(37 - q://QID92/ChoiceTextEntryValue ) + abs(112 - q://QID96/ChoiceTextEntryValue ) + abs(56 - q://QID100/ChoiceTextEntryValue ) ) / 6 }

The syntax is supposed to calculate the absolute value for 6 responses subtracted from a preset number, sum these 6 responses, and divide by 6 to provide the mean. The equations to calculate the absolute values are working correctly when tested in isolation, so the issue appears to be related to the fact that I have multiple levels of parentheses. Instead of dividing by 6 at the end, I could also try a mean function if one exists.
icon

Best answer by LaurenK 25 October 2018, 21:19

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +33
Parentheses in above calculation seems correct. If it is creating problem . In first embedded variable calculate sum of your absutes and create other final embedded variable where you decide earlier embedded variable by 6.

There is no direct mean function available.
Userlevel 7
Badge +13
Hey @AnthonyM! If you have not yet already, I would recommend checking out this page about troubleshooting math operations. Otherwise, feel free to reach out to our Support Team directly, so they can further troubleshoot this with you!

Leave a Reply