Solved

Loop and Merge Based on Deterministic choice

• 23 October 2018
  • 3 replies

Badge
Hi

In my survey, I have 10 questions and the answer includes only two choices:

!

If a participant selects route 1, I would like to show the same value each time (i.e., 6). This is easier. Using Loop and Merge, I can create a field and write ten times the value 6. This way every time a participant selects the option "Route 1", the 6 value would appear (or simply I can use Display Logic)

The problem is when a participant selects the other option "Route 2". The order of the values for the second option (Route 2) is as follows (for 10 questions):

3 3 3 8 8 3 3 3 8 8

These values should be shown according to the above exact same order. For instance, if a participant selects Route 1 in the first question and Route 2 in the second question, then I would like to show the first value from the above order (i.e. 3). In other words, if a participant in the first three questions select option 1 (Route 1), and in the fourth question "option 2 (Route 2)", then for the second option I would like to show the first value of the above order i.e. 3 (and Not 8)

I have been trying to use Loop and Merge so far, but haven't been successful. Any help in this regard would be appreciated. Perhaps something like a counter + 1 would work but I don't know how to implement that in Qualtrics
icon

Best answer by TomG 24 October 2018, 04:29

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +33
i will prefer to make 10 questions instead of loop and storing what need to be piped in next question.
So first question texts remain same.
Pipe value for q2 can be be changed on basis of q1 selection.
Than another pipe values based on q2 selection.... so on,
Badge
Many thanks for this. I am not sure if I understood correctly. I can create easily 10 questions since the question text is the same for all of the ten questions. It is actually the answer for one of the options that change. I could easily display the answer for the second question too, however, it would be a lot of if statements. Perhaps, I didn't understand your hint maybe.
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@fayyaz,

Initialize a route2 counter embedded data variable (e.g., countR2) as 0 in the survey flow. Then increment it each time Route2 is selected in a JavaScript attached to a question in the loop after your route question on another page (possibly a hidden question if you don't have any other questions in your loop).
```
if("{route question piped answer recode}" == "2") {
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData("countR2", parseInt("${e://Field/countR2}")+1);
}
```

Then in your route question you can have JavaScript lookup the Route2 value from an array using countR2 as the index. Let's say the place where you want to show the number of minutes is inside a span tag with an id of r2mins.
```
var r2vals = [3, 3, 3, 8, 8, 3, 3, 3, 8, 8];
jQuery("#r2mins").html(r2vals[parseInt("${e://Field/countR2}"]);
```

Leave a Reply