Automatic forwarding to next question | XM Community
Solved

Automatic forwarding to next question

• 24 October 2018
  • 15 replies

Badge +1
Hi everyone,

For questions where it makes sense (e.g. single choice questions), I would like to automatically forward to the next question to make the survey faster.
I believe this should work with JavaScript.
Has anyone already written some code that works for this purpose and could help me with this?

Thanks a lot!

Anna
icon

Best answer by TomG 24 October 2018, 23:00

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +33
You can add timer question in block of questions and set the time read below post too
https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/556/auto-advance
Userlevel 7
Badge +33
You can put javs script on ready in each question:
`setTimeout(function () {jQuery('#NextButton').click();},2000);`
Badge +1
Thanks, @bansalpeeyush29, however this doesn't work for me as I don't want to set a timer for the user to answer the question.
Does anyone else have an idea of how to solve this without a time out?
Userlevel 7
Badge +33
If you are looking specifically for single select question you can refer below post

https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/14/how-to-set-auto-advance-on-my-survey
Badge +1
Thank you, @bansalpeeyush29! I will try it as I am indeed looking specifically for single select questions.
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
` this.questionclick = function(event,element){
if(jQuery('input[type="radio"]').is(':checked')){jQuery('#NextButton').click();}
};`

Only works if the question is the only one on page and on single select question
Hello @Animalena

The following solution will work for single select answer and the only question in page
Add the following code in the js(OnReady)

jQuery('input[type="radio"]').on('click',function(){jQuery('#NextButton').click();});
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
Qualtrics has a new auto advance feature. I haven't tried it yet, but you can turn it on under Look & Feel, Motion, AutoAdvance on Questions/AutoAdvance on Pages.

If that doesn't work out, I have a JavaScript you can contact me about. It automatically goes to the next page when the last question on a page is answered. The script can be placed in the header or footer and works on any page where the last question is Multiple Choice (Single answer, Drop down, Single select box, or NPS), Matrix (Likert single answer, Profile single answer, Bipolar, MaxDiff, Likert drop down or Profile drop down), or Rank Order (Radio Buttons).
Userlevel 7
Badge +13
Hi @Animalena! If you have not yet already, be sure to check out this page about our new Look & Feel editor and autoadvance feature!
Badge +1
Thank you very much @TomG and @LaurenK ! I wasn't aware of this new functionality. It's exactly what I needed! Brilliant 😀
Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @TomG
In this discussion, you mentioned that you have Javascript code. Can you share with me the Javascript code where I can post in header recourse code<>? Really appreciated! The last question on every page is multiple choices with a single answer. The reason I need the Javascript code instead of checking the auto button in Look & Feel is that I want to have this automatic function within certain blocks but not in other blocks. So I will write something like the following in the header recourse code:
if("${e://Field/enableautopage}"==1)
your Javascript code here

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

Pei_2009 - I answered your private message.

Userlevel 4
Badge +20

TomG - The new auto-advance feature is awesome! However, it's not working for me with all of my question types, specifically star rating and free text. Would the JS you mentioned worked for these type of questions?

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/comment/36173#Comment_36173No, it could be done but it creates usability issues that may be counterproductive. You risk catching respondents unawares and advancing before they are ready. That's probably the reason Qualtrics auto-advance doesn't work with these question types.

Userlevel 4
Badge +20

Ok, thanks for the quick response. I appreciate it!

Leave a Reply