Round quota to nearest multiple of 10 using Java in Qualtrics Questionnaire | XM Community
Solved

Round quota to nearest multiple of 10 using Java in Qualtrics Questionnaire

• 6 November 2018
  • 5 replies

Dear all,

I would like to generate a question in my survey, where the current number of participants rounded to the next multiple of 10 is displayed.
Qualtrics support told me I need to use Java - as I am not familiar with using Java, I'd appreciate your help!

Specifically I would like to display to the participants the text:

_"Number of participants so far: < X"_

Where X represents the next multiple of 10 of number of participants. I have already created a quota named "QuotaCount", which counts the number of participants of the survey.
Therefore the JavaScript should generate i.e. the following:
* if QuotaCount = 0 -> X=10
* if QuotaCount = 1 -> X=10
* if QuotaCount = 6 -> X=10
* if QuotaCount = 10 -> X=20
* if QuotaCount = 11 -> X=20 etc.

I have found the folowing formular online: (parseInt(x / 10, 10) + 1) * 10 - not sure though how to use it in context of the java script.
Looking forward to your answers.

Thank you and best regards,
icon

Best answer by TomG 6 November 2018, 17:14

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
Let's say your html looks like:
```
Number of participants so far: < <span id="X"></span>
```
Then add the following js to the addOnload function:
```
var quota = parseInt("${qo://quota pipe string goes here}");
jQuery("#X").html((parseInt(quota/10, 10)+1)*10);
```
Dear Tom,

thank you for the quick reply.
Three more questions:

* do I need to type the name of my quota 'QuotaCount' wherever you have 'quota' in your code?
* Do the " need to remain or do I replace them?
* Is there a way to test the code without clicking through the whole survey ?

Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards,
Just recognized.. the HTML code: "Number of participants so far: < <span id="X"></span>"
does not remain. When qualtrics saves the question it changes to: "Number of participants so far: < " - so the reference will not remain in the html code.

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Best regards
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @CaBe2018 said:
> * do I need to type the name of my quota 'QuotaCount' wherever you have 'quota' in your code?
No, 'quota' is a JavaScript variable. You only need to pipe your 'QuotaCount' into the first line where it says '${qo://quota pipe string goes here}'

> * Do the " need to remain or do I replace them?
Yes, you need the quotes around your piped 'QuotaCount'

> * Is there a way to test the code without clicking through the whole survey ?
You can do a View Block from Block Options (helpful if your question is close to the top of the block)

> Just recognized.. the HTML code: "Number of participants so far: < " does not remain. When qualtrics saves the question it changes to: "Number of participants so far: < " - so the reference will not remain in the html code.
It's there, you just don't see it because the initial value inside the `<span>` is blank. It will be updated when the JS runs. You can put a placeholder inside the span (e.g., 0) if you want since it will be replaced. But the respondent may see it flash by before the actual value is set.
Hi TomG,

I was able to test it and it worked!
Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Leave a Reply