How to put question and text entry box side by side in Qualtrics? | XM Community
Solved

How to put question and text entry box side by side in Qualtrics?

• 14 November 2018
  • 12 replies

Hi all! Can anyone help me? I plan to use text question to design a writing summary task. Here is what I have done so far. I put the article in the question box and ask my participants to write a summary in the text entry box below. Now I am thinking about having the article displayed on the left and the text entry box on the right. I tried all the possible features in Qualtrics but still can't figure out how to do that. Maybe I need to write custom HTML code? Can anyone give me a hint?
icon

Best answer by PeeyushBansal 14 November 2018, 06:25

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +33
You can make your text entry question as form type with one field and can add text at left and OE box at right

also check below
https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/2123/fitting-labels-into-one-line-in-text-entry-form-question
Hi, thank you so much for you help. But I still do not quite understand. What I want to do is just make the question box and text entry box side by side with each other. The picuture below shows the current position of the two boxes.
!
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
@Terrytian - Have you tried changing the text entry question to be "form" and including the question text as the first entry in the "form"? (that is what @bansalpeeyush29 said in his first post).
Oh, I got it! Thanks! Another question, sorry. Do you know how to adjust the size of the question text box on the left? !
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hey @Terrytian - Make sure to type "@""username" in order to notify someone that you are talking to them. This will send that person an email.

Also, just drag the box to the size you need using the bottom right corner.
!
@Akdashboard, Thank you for your help!!! Here is a further question. When I adjust the size of the text entry box on the right, it still shrinks into its original size after I publish it. How can I have a larger size of the text entry box after having it published?
See below, before published: !
and then after published (or displayed in look and feel)
!
Or if I want to use side by side question, how can I change the size of the text entry box on the right? The size of it seems like not adjustable.
!
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@Terrytian,

You can make the textareas on the right the same height and width as their containing tables cells. First make sure the form fields are "Essay". Then use this JS:
```
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function() {
jQuery("#"+this.questionId+" textarea").each(function() {
var input = jQuery(this);
input.css({"width":"100%","height":input.closest('td').height()+"px"});
});
});
```
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
@Terrytian
Question 1: Have you previewed the survey? It is possible that the it may appear smaller in the builder but will appear correct in the actual survey.

Question 2: For side by side questions, you can only adjust the size of the text entry box to one of the pre-set setting, the largest of which is Essay (see image). You can further manually adjust the width, but you can't adjust the height. This can probably be done with JavaScript, but that isn't my forte.

Why would you want to do a side-by-side like this?

!
Thank you @Akdashboard for your help!
I use side-by-side question to put an article on the left side and the text entry box on the right so that my participants can write a summary without scrolling up and down. I will record their key strokes to analyze the flow of their written language in summary writing task.
The problem is still there though. I cannot adjust the text entry box on the right. For the "form" type, although I can adjust the size of the box on the builder, it maintains its original look in the published version. Maybe I have to use Javascript? But I do not know how to use that.
Great thanks to @TomG!!!! I solved the problem!!!! Thanks!!!
!
Badge +2
@Terrytian
This is exactly what I am trying to set up. I can't tell from the discussion above. It looks like your final question above is set to Matrix Table- Text Entry. Is that correct?

I have got the code to work using Text Entry- Form, but my problem is that the text in the form field is too skinny.

Are you able to share what your question type was and the final code used to make it work?
Thanks,
Tricia

Leave a Reply