How to store in English in iQ Directory the answers from a survey in different languages? | XM Community
Solved

How to store in English in iQ Directory the answers from a survey in different languages?

• 14 November 2018
  • 22 replies

Dear Qualtrics Community,

I am currently setting up a panel in Germany and France. I use the same registration survey with 2 languages (German and French).
I created Contact List Triggers on the fields that I want to store in iQ Directory: e.g. Gender.

My issue is that the answers are stored in German and French (as the answers displayed in the survey and seen by respondents).
e.g. Participant 1 = Gender = Frau | Country = DE
Participant 2 = Gender = Femme | Country = FR
How can I proceed so that the answers are stored in English iQ Directory (and not in German and French)?
I tried to change the variable names in English, this works for the survey answers stored in Reports, but not for the iQ Directory.

Many thanks for your support,
Anna
icon

Best answer by TomG 16 November 2018, 19:48

View original

22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
@annaj Do you select "Selected choices Recode" in the mailing list trigger?
!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
If its very few fields that you are going to map as embedded data in iQ Directory...

- You can create an embedded data in "Survey Flow" and store value (based on condition i.e. if "Female" then the value is "Female") in English and use the embedded data for contact list trigger (rather than Question).
> @MsIreen said:
> @annaj Do you select "Selected choices Recode" in the mailing list trigger?
> !
>

Hi Mslreen, thanks for your suggestion. I tried this but it gives the Recoded value (a number) and not the new Variable name.
> @Mohammedali_Rajapakar_Ugam said:
> If its very few fields that you are going to map as embedded data in iQ Directory...
>
> - You can create an embedded data in "Survey Flow" and store value (based on condition i.e. if "Female" then the value is "Female") in English and use the embedded data for contact list trigger (rather than Question).

Thanks @Mohammedali_Rajapakar_Ugam for this idea! The issue is that I have a lot of fields to store and this looks very time-consuming. I guess that without other workaround that would be the option I have to go for.
Userlevel 7
Badge +33
instead of selected choice recode ,select "selected choices".
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
@annaj ah true... Was it then renaming values and not recoding 😕 need to check it out..

Meanwhile I have checked now what we use, because we have a survey in several languages as well.
This is how we manage:
!
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@annaj,

Is your survey also in English? If so, as long as you don't have an End of Survey message to worry about, you could programmatically change the language to English at the very end of the survey using JavaScript. Then your contact trigger would save the answers in English (except open end text questions).
> @bansalpeeyush29 said:
> instead of selected choice recode ,select "selected choices".

Thanks @bansalpeeyush29 for your suggestion. Unfortunately, this store the answer in the language the survey was completed.
> @MsIreen said:
> @annaj ah true... Was it then renaming values and not recoding 😕 need to check it out..
>
> Meanwhile I have checked now what we use, because we have a survey in several languages as well.
> This is how we manage:
> !
>

@MsIreen Thanks for explaining in details how you proceed! Looks like an interesting way when you don't have so may fields. I will have a deeper look!
> @TomG said:
> @annaj,
>
> Is your survey also in English? If so, as long as you don't have an End of Survey message to worry about, you could programmatically change the language to English at the very end of the survey using JavaScript. Then your contact trigger would save the answers in English (except open end text questions).

@TomG Many thanks for your suggestion! My survey is in German an French, but I do have an English version of the survey that I could implement as well.
What do you mean exactly with the End of Survey message? At the moment, I display one specific depending on the language and if the participant want to join the panel or not (he has to agree on T&C to join the panel).
Your suggestion looks really interesting! As I have no deep knowledge in JavaScript, could you please detail the code I should use at the end of the survey to store the answers in English?

Thanks for your help!
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @annaj said:
> @TomG Many thanks for your suggestion! My survey is in German an French, but I do have an English version of the survey that I could implement as well.
> What do you mean exactly with the End of Survey message? At the moment, I display one specific depending on the language and if the participant want to join the panel or not (he has to agree on T&C to join the panel).

@annaj,

My idea won't work if you are relying on a translated End of Survey message because if you change the language to English at the end of the survey, the End of Survey message will be in English. It would be a good solution if you were redirecting or could live with a multi-lingual End of Survey page.

To implement you would add a Descriptive Text question at the end of the survey with this JS:
```
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnReady(function() {
var lang = jQuery("#Q_lang");
if(lang.val()=="EN") this.clickNextButton();
else lang.val("EN").change();
});
```
> @TomG said:
> > @annaj said:
> > @TomG Many thanks for your suggestion! My survey is in German an French, but I do have an English version of the survey that I could implement as well.
> > What do you mean exactly with the End of Survey message? At the moment, I display one specific depending on the language and if the participant want to join the panel or not (he has to agree on T&C to join the panel).
>
> @annaj,
>
> My idea won't work if you are relying on a translated End of Survey message because if you change the language to English at the end of the survey, the End of Survey message will be in English. It would be a good solution if you were redirecting or could live with a multi-lingual End of Survey page.
>
> To implement you would add a Descriptive Text question at the end of the survey with this JS:
> ```
> Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnReady(function() {
> var lang = jQuery("#Q_lang");
> if(lang.val()=="EN") this.clickNextButton();
> else lang.val("EN").change();
> });
> ```
>
>

Many thanks @TomG ! That's a great idea! I tried it out and it works! I need to find a workaround for my end of message text, may be displaying the page before and only display a logo as end of message.

An issue I'm facing is that the Qualtrics' defaut attribute "Language" is now turned to "EN" instead of "DE" or "FR". Would it be a way so that only this value is not impacted by the language switch?
@TomG I fixed the issue I was facing 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@annaj,

One more idea for you to handle end of survey...

* Create a second survey with just one descriptive text question (it will never be seen so don't worry about the contents).
* Add translations for all the languages you have in the first survey (the wording of the translations are unimportant)
* In the survey flow add an End of Survey at the very top of the survey flow. Customize it to screen out and display your translated end of survey message.
* Go to your first survey, and modify the script I provided with 2 lines added to save the current language to the embedded variable "lang" before switching the language to English:
```
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnReady(function() {
var lang = jQuery("#Q_lang");
if(lang.val()=="EN") {
if("${e://Field/lang}".length == 0) Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData("lang", "EN");
this.clickNextButton();
}
else {
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData("lang", lang.val());
lang.val("EN").change();
}
});
```
* Change your Survey Options or Customized EOS to redirect to the second survey with the parameter `Q_lang=${e://Field/lang}` added to your url.
* You could also update the Language in your contact trigger to ${e://Field/lang}.
@TomG This sounds like a great solution! Many thanks for iterating - this will be really helpful!
> @TomG said:
> > @annaj said:
> > @TomG Many thanks for your suggestion! My survey is in German an French, but I do have an English version of the survey that I could implement as well.
> > What do you mean exactly with the End of Survey message? At the moment, I display one specific depending on the language and if the participant want to join the panel or not (he has to agree on T&C to join the panel).
>
> @annaj,
>
> My idea won't work if you are relying on a translated End of Survey message because if you change the language to English at the end of the survey, the End of Survey message will be in English. It would be a good solution if you were redirecting or could live with a multi-lingual End of Survey page.
>
> To implement you would add a Descriptive Text question at the end of the survey with this JS:
> ```
> Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnReady(function() {
> var lang = jQuery("#Q_lang");
> if(lang.val()=="EN") this.clickNextButton();
> else lang.val("EN").change();
> });
> ```
>
>

@TomG I am implementing this part with the 2nd iteration of the code you provided me. As we are charged per survey completes, the 2nd option you suggested with 2 surveys might be a bit expensive.
I guess the answer is negative, but I was wondering if there is a way to implement the Java script in the EOS Message so that the EOS Message is displayed in the current language but the answers are then stored in English?
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @annaj said:
> @TomG I am implementing this part with the 2nd iteration of the code you provided me. As we are charged per survey completes, the 2nd option you suggested with 2 surveys might be a bit expensive.

Screen-outs don't count as completes because response data isn't saved, so you aren't charged for them. That's why I instructed you to set the EOS in the second survey to screen-out.
> @TomG said:
> > @annaj said:
> > @TomG I am implementing this part with the 2nd iteration of the code you provided me. As we are charged per survey completes, the 2nd option you suggested with 2 surveys might be a bit expensive.
>
> Screen-outs don't count as completes because response data isn't saved, so you aren't charged for them. That's why I instructed you to set the EOS in the second survey to screen-out.
>
>

Many thanks for pointing this out!
Is it normal that when I add the code in my last descriptive text question in German/French, my text switch to English?
My only solution at the moment is to add the code in a blank descriptive question with a page break before so that my last question stays in German / French. That is not the nicest from a user perspective: after clicking on Next Button on the German / French question, I see the blank question with a submit button that is clicked automatically, then the redirect page and then the EOS message. Is it the expected behavior? I'm just wondering if there is a way not to see the blank question (redirect and EOS page being expected behavior).

Thanks for your support @TomG , I really appreciate!
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @annaj said:
> Is it normal that when I add the code in my last descriptive text question in German/French, my text switch to English?
> My only solution at the moment is to add the code in a blank descriptive question with a page break before so that my last question stays in German / French. That is not the nicest from a user perspective: after clicking on Next Button on the German / French question, I see the blank question with a submit button that is clicked automatically, then the redirect page and then the EOS message. Is it the expected behavior? I'm just wondering if there is a way not to see the blank question (redirect and EOS page being expected behavior).
Yes, that's normal behavior. What is happening:
1. The script finds the current language, saves its, and if it isn't English switches it to English
2. The page refreshes and displays in English.
3. The scripts sees it is English and clicks the Next button
4. The survey ends and redirects to the second survey. Meanwhile the contact trigger fires and saves everything in English.
5. The second survey displays the End of Survey message in the original language

So no matter what you do, there will be some things quickly flashing by. You could minimize what the respondent sees by adding this script to the same question as the current script.
```
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function() { jQuery(".Skin").hide(); });
```
@TomG Hello Tom!
I've been using the code you provided to store the survey answers in iQ Directory in English for 2 months, and it worked well. However, since January 24th, I've noticed that my survey answers are now stored in German, which is the primary language of the survey and not in English anymore... (i.e., if I take my survey in French or in German, my answers are stored in German instead of English).
Do you know where this could come from?
I suspect a change from Qualtrics because I clearly see the changes in the survey results on January 23rd at 9pm, answers are still stored in English from 10pm on, everything is stored in the survey languages.

I didn't change anything in my survey settings.

Many thanks for your help,
Anais
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
@annaj not really on the topic, but we also have noticed that there have been some updates constantly going on on Qualtrics backend and our codes and scripts stop working here and there 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@annaj - Anais,

I don't know when I'll get around to looking at this. Clients come first.

Leave a Reply