Randomly select a set of pictures from a group, without replacement. | XM Community
Solved

Randomly select a set of pictures from a group, without replacement.

• 21 November 2018
  • 2 replies

I have 10 pairs of pictures (20 pictures in total, 10 are the "A" and 10 are the "B"). I want to randomly select 10 pictures in total (out of the 20) and for each picture I show, I want to ask the same question.

There are two main issues I have to take into account: 1) I don't want to show the same picture to the same person twice (no replacement); 2) if I show a picture 1 from the A group to a respondent, I don't want to show the 1B (i.e., the corresponding pair) to the same individual.

It is not clear to me what is the simplest way to do this in Qualtrics. So far, I have thought about creating two levels of randomization: 1 for the groups and a second for the pictures. This allows me to random assign an individual to either A or B and then to pick a picture from the 10. This does not help with the two issues of replacement.

Do you have any idea how could I get this done?
icon

Best answer by MohammedAli_Rajapkar 22 November 2018, 05:31

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Have each picture from Group A and Group B in its own block. So, there will be in a total of 20 blocks.

Then, in Survey Flow, use a randomizer (please refer below entire documentation)
https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/survey-flow/standard-elements/randomizer/

You should have 10 randomizers and within each randomizer add Group elements. Now, within each randomizer Group element keep 1 picture block from group A and 1 picture block from group B i.e. for first Group element you should keep picture 1 from group A and picture 1 from group B, likewise for rest of the Group element.
thank you so much!

Leave a Reply