Skip to question based on embedded data | XM Community
Solved

Skip to question based on embedded data

• 14 December 2018
  • 4 replies

The overall puzzle is to skip a respondent to the appropriate place in a new survey based on their responses to a previous survey. About 50 respondents completed at least half of the original survey, and I would like to present these respondents with a short survey of key remaining questions. The idea is that many respondents will not at this point complete the entire survey, but they may be willing to answer a handful of basic demographic questions that would then make their existing data more useful for analysis. I used their emails to invite the respondents, and planned to use the information on where they left off the survey to tailor what questions they would see in the follow-up survey. I would like to skip the respondents to the question at which they quit the first survey, and then they can continue from there, completing the selected demographic questions that they have not yet seen.

The name of the last question that the respondent completed is available in the Qualtrics report for the partials. I can include that information with the panel dataset when I upload the names and emails of the respondents I would like to invite to the follow-up survey. The question names can be used as embedded data.

The problem is then to skip to the question (name) that is stored in the embedded data. Seems difficult to find a way to use skip logic to advance to a question name stored in the panel and/or brought in as embedded data. (Will keep all questions in a single block, but that doesn't solve all the problems.) Can't see how to do that. Perhaps using javascript?

Thanks for considering.

-David
icon

Best answer by TomG 14 December 2018, 20:48

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
That sounds quite complicated. Why not just send a reminder to unfinished respondents? If you would just like to ask for the demographics, you can skip all other questions in your survey and publish the updated questionnaire.
Thanks.

That could be next best. I would like to select out the respondents that have completed over 40 percent of the survey, and make a targeted pitch to them. So that pushes me in the other direction. I think the other route (just barely sketched above) will have other uses as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@DavidS,

Instead of using the question labels from the old survey, map those questions to integers that represent questions in your new survey and add those as an embedded data field in your contact list (let's call it priorSurveyLast for this example). So priorSurveyLast's value would be 1 for Q1, 2 for Q2, etc. where the question number is the first question they will see in the new survey.

Then add display logic to each question where it is displayed if priorSurveyLast is less than or equal to the question number (e.g., Q1: If priorSurveyLast <= 1).
Thanks! Yes, that would be relatively easy, as long as the number of questions in the second survey is reasonably small. And the display logic is simple for each question, so that helps a lot.

May be another use of skip logic through javascript for future problems.

Thanks again.

Leave a Reply