How to loop questions with randomised embedded data? | XM Community

How to loop questions with randomised embedded data?

• 8 January 2019
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Dear Community,

in my survey I am going to present audio stimuli from a pool of about 100 stimuli. The participants will get two different and randomly chosen sounds from this pool and answer three questions (which do they like more etc.). In the next turn they will be asked the same questions with a different pair of sounds and so on. In total, I need about 50 repetitions of the same block of three questions, and for every answer I'd like to record which sound they preferred and which not (there is an embedded data field like "file name"). Is there any elegant way to do a loop with this block without duplicating the block for each trial and without changing the name of the embedded data manually (File Name Trial_1, File Name Trial_2 ... until Trial_50)? The problem is that I can't imagine how a loop can work with the randomizer.
The whole experiment is described here more in detail: https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/3089/how-to-present-stimuli-files-randomly-to-participants

@Akdashboard helped me a lot but the question with the 50-times repetition still remains.

Thank you in advance for your help!

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
@overtone - I am a bit busy with work at the moment, so i can test this for you, but read the following support page about "Loop and Merge". At a basic-level it does exactly what you would expect. What would need to be tested is if new random sound files would be assigned. Without testing, I honestly don't know.

https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/block-options/loop-and-merge/
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
@Akdashboard - Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, the loop only functions within the question block and I can't build the randomizer into the block - it always remains separated. Thus, no new random files are assigned... What I actually need is a loop function for the question block together with the randomizer, but this seems not to exist.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
@overtone - Can you share the .qsf for your survey? I can try messing around with what you already have made.

Also, if you aren't worried about the total number of responses used, then this could be done with a custom redirect at the end of the survey that sends them to the top of the survey. Combined with contact list triggers and branching logic, you can control the total number of "loops" to be 50. This setup is fairly straightforward and easy to follow, the downsides are that each "loop" will count as a response and the redirect at the end of survey isn't an ideal user-experience (but you can mediate that with a custom end of survey message).

A simplified version of the survey flow would look like this.
!

And you will need to create a contact list trigger to update the loop count. This would look something like:
!

Leave a Reply