Is there a way to disable the automatic browser language detection? | XM Community
Solved

Is there a way to disable the automatic browser language detection?

• 11 January 2019
  • 7 replies

I have a survey that I am fielding in both English and Spanish using the Translate feature. I know how to edit my survey URL, but Qualtrics' automatic browser language detection feature is sometimes overriding my URL specification. If I send the Spanish-language survey to a Spanish speaking respondent but their browser is set to English, I want the survey to remain in Spanish.
icon

Best answer by MohammedAli_Rajapkar 13 January 2019, 16:18

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Are you using Mailing list? You can specify the language there. I have tested 21 languages like this-no problem occurred
I'm not using Mailing list, I'm distributing anonymous surveys with the q_language alteration.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
@hmiller are the recipients same or different? Could it be something to do with cookies?
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
@hmiller I ask because for me when i test it keeps opening the first language i opened it on (not the browser language), even after i submit the feedback
@mslreen interesting! the recipients will each take it once, so they're all different. I'll investigate whether it's a cookies issue. Thanks!

For what it's worth, I've also spoken with a Qualtrics support agent and there is no way to turn off or override the auto-language detection feature.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Q_Language should work.

Can you try with appending "&Q_Language=ES"... case sensitive is the issue...
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
One thing you need to beware of is the difference between Spanish (ES-ES) and Spanish Latin America (ES). If you translated your survey using Spanish (NOT Latin America) then your query string would need to look like "&Q_Language=ES-ES" otherwise it will default to whatever language is set in your survey options (which is English by default).

I had this problem on some of my surveys. If I had to bet money, I would say your survey is translated using Spanish (ES-ES). If you need to go from ES-ES translation to ES, simply download the ES-ES version and edit the text so the PhraseID is set to ES, then upload the translation back to the survey under the Spanish (Latin America) translation.

Leave a Reply