Is it possible to collaborate AND retake surveys automatically? | XM Community
Solved

Is it possible to collaborate AND retake surveys automatically?

Hi there,

Basically, what I want is this:
1. Multiple people need to be able to collaborate on one survey (with the answers provided by one person saved and viewable by the other)
2. It has to be possible to retake the survey with the previously provided answers prepopulated.

I thought of building personal links to achieve #1 and building a retake link to achieve #2. But I understand from this page that building retake links is not possible when using personal links, correct?
So I thought that if it would be possible to insert the personal link as piped text, I could then append that link with "?Q_R=${e://Field/ResponseID}&Q_R_DEL=1" to create a personal retake link automatically. Is there any logic to my thinking?

Perhaps you guys have other ideas to achieve both goals, they are very welcome! Thanks so much in advance.
icon

Best answer by JenCX 23 January 2019, 18:04

View original

20 replies

Hi there,

Basically, what I want is this:
1. Multiple people need to be able to collaborate on one survey (with the answers provided by one person saved and viewable by the other)
2. It has to be possible to retake the survey with the previously provided answers prepopulated.

I thought of building personal links to achieve #1 and building a retake link to achieve #2. But I understand from this page that building retake links is not possible when using personal links, correct?
So I thought that if it would be possible to insert the personal link as piped text, I could then append that link with "?Q_R=${e://Field/ResponseID}&Q_R_DEL=1" to create a personal retake link automatically. Is there any logic to my thinking?

Perhaps you guys have other ideas to achieve both goals, they are very welcome! Thanks so much in advance.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
@Strik88 Why do you need a personal link?
you can just sumbit an empty survey response and use its response ID for the retake, and just distribute it.
> @MsIreen said:
> @Strik88 Why do you need a personal link?
> you can just sumbit an empty survey response and use its response ID for the retake, and just distribute it.

Hi Mslreen, thanks for your answer. Perhaps I don't understand correctly, but I think I need the personal response for goal #1. That is, for multiple people to be able to collaborate on one survey and seeing each others answers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
@Strik88 That is why you will create the empty one. It will be the base for the collaboration. Then you build the link, but instead of piping the response ID, you will insert the real Response ID. Thus everyone who receives the link will be working on your originally submitted response.
> @MsIreen said:
> @Strik88 That is why you will create the empty one. It will be the base for the collaboration. Then you build the link, but instead of piping the response ID, you will insert the real Response ID. Thus everyone who receives the link will be working on your originally submitted response.

Wait a minute, I think I beginning to understand what you're saying and it's genius. Would that also work when several team members of Team A are working on survey 1 and several team members of team B are working on survey 2, etc? So in the end I have 10 filled in surveys where maybe 30 people have worked on (say 3 per team)?
If so, how?

Please forgive my inexperience. Thanks for helping!
> @MsIreen said:
> @Strik88 That is why you will create the empty one. It will be the base for the collaboration. Then you build the link, but instead of piping the response ID, you will insert the real Response ID. Thus everyone who receives the link will be working on your originally submitted response.

And another thing, would people also be able to partially save the data when it's incomplete?
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
@Strik88 You need to test it. It will not work in case the response ID is changing every time it is edited. I haven't thought about it actually..
> @MsIreen said:
> @Strik88 You need to test it. It will not work in case the response ID is changing every time it is edited. I haven't thought about it actually..

And not only that, If I use an anonymous link, everybody would be working in the same response and I don't need that since different teams need to be in different responses.
Userlevel 7
Badge +33
if you already know who all will be working on a particular survey , crete different blocks for each team and append your retake link with say RETAKELINK&team=A...
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
@Strik88 Yep, sorry for misleading you 😞
> @MsIreen said:
> @Strik88 Yep, sorry for misleading you 😞

No need to apologize. Thanks for helping.
Userlevel 7
Badge +33
Also follow this link it might help you:-

https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/2334/creating-a-single-survey-for-a-series-of-responses-from-different-respondents-ie-approvals#latest
> @bansalpeeyush29 said:
> if you already know who all will be working on a particular survey , crete different blocks for each team and append your retake link with say RETAKELINK&team=A...

Thanks for your reply.

That's the thing. I don't know specifically who will be working on the survey and the people might also change over time.
It this case, your suggestions wouldn't work right?
> @bansalpeeyush29 said:
> Also follow this link it might help you:-
>
> https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/2334/creating-a-single-survey-for-a-series-of-responses-from-different-respondents-ie-approvals#latest

Thanks for sharing this. Although very interesting, I don't think this will be of particular help to me since I need to be able to save the answers of an open survey for another respondent, not only after submitting...
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
@Strik88 Hi there! Looks like you got some suggestions that may not pan out. Can you give us some more context? Maybe we can help you figure out a way (I'm thinking maybe storing the data in Embedded Values) to get to your end result without having to generate retaking links.
> @jpardicusick said:
> @Strik88 Hi there! Looks like you got some suggestions that may not pan out. Can you give us some more context? Maybe we can help you figure out a way (I'm thinking maybe storing the data in Embedded Values) to get to your end result without having to generate retaking links.

Thanks for keeping this thread alive. So my situation is the following:

I want to use qualtrics to gather information about a certain subject, lets call it household info. From 10 different households, I want to know about their grocery habits and their energy habits. In this case, mom knows all about grocery's (sorry for stereotyping ;-)) and dad knows all about energy. And then there is grandma, She is the boss of the household and has to review all answers and possibly change them before final submitting (or after submitting, by reopening)
- I want only one completed survey per household, but it should be possible for mom to complete the grocery part and dad the energy part (preferably simultaneously, but this is not a must have).
- Furthermore, since it's sometimes complex information, progress should be saved intermittently so mom and dad are able to continue where they themselves (or a different person (oldest son)) left off.
- Nice to have: possibility for mom or dad to indicate to grandma that they are ready for her to review the answers (by sending an email to her).

I hope this makes things clearer. Thanks for helping!
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Okay, I think I have an idea for this. It could get a little messy and someone else may have a better way, but what I would do is this:
* Create embedded data that is updated in your flow when a section is completed. For instance, once mom does the grocery section, GroceryDone is set to Yes
* Trigger an email to send to dad on a partial complete when GroceryDone is set to Yes, including the full response report. Include a link to the original survey.
* Use branching logic to check at the beginning if GroceryDone is set to Yes. If so, move to the Energy block. Once dad is done with Energy, set EnergyDone to Yes, follow the trigger steps to send to Grandma
* In Grandma's block, ask her if she'd like to redo any of the answers. If she answers Yes, use branching logic to send her through those blocks again. Or have her choose the specific questions she wants to redo with piped text, etc.
* Only put an End Survey termination after Grandma's block.
> @jpardicusick said:
> Okay, I think I have an idea for this. It could get a little messy and someone else may have a better way, but what I would do is this:
> * Create embedded data that is updated in your flow when a section is completed. For instance, once mom does the grocery section, GroceryDone is set to Yes
> * Trigger an email to send to dad on a partial complete when GroceryDone is set to Yes, including the full response report. Include a link to the original survey.
> * Use branching logic to check at the beginning if GroceryDone is set to Yes. If so, move to the Energy block. Once dad is done with Energy, set EnergyDone to Yes, follow the trigger steps to send to Grandma
> * In Grandma's block, ask her if she'd like to redo any of the answers. If she answers Yes, use branching logic to send her through those blocks again. Or have her choose the specific questions she wants to redo with piped text, etc.
> * Only put an End Survey termination after Grandma's block.

Hi jpardicusick,

Wow! Thanks so much for this. Seems simple enough, yet brilliant! I think I understand most of it and will start building soon. The only thing I don't get is the second last step. Specifically where you have grandma choose the questions she wants to redo with piped text. How would that work?
And another thing, how can I include the full response report in the email?

Best, Ian
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
@Strik88
> @Strik88 said:
The only thing I don't get is the second last step. Specifically where you have grandma choose the questions she wants to redo with piped text. How would that work?

I would build a branch with a question that asks Grandma if she wants to redo answers. If she selects Yes, display a multiple answer question with all of the other sections she may want to redo. In this example, grocery and energy. Use branch logic after this question in the flow to use her responses to move her through the sections previously completed. She'll have already seen the responses in the email but if you want to show her again, you can pipe in the responses in a descriptive text question at the beginning of the block.

> @Strik88 said:
> And another thing, how can I include the full response report in the email?
It's a setting in the trigger email. Here's a screencap of the support page (item 11). It's the one I linked in the earlier post if you want a better look at it.

!

If you need more help with the branching logic, please feel free to send me a DM. 😀
Badge +2

Did you ever get this thing figured out? I'm working on a similar project...

Leave a Reply