How to record which key is being pressed | XM Community
Solved

How to record which key is being pressed

• 17 January 2019
  • 6 replies

Hi. I have added a key response ('j' and 'k'), and auto-advance features to my survey, despite they are working, the output doesn't seem to record which key is being pressed. Is there something that I missed adding into the javascript which makes it record which key is pressed?

This is the script that I used in my survey.

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function()
{
this.hideNextButton();
this.hidePreviousButton();
var that = this;
Event.observe(document, 'keydown', function keydownCallback(e) {
var choiceID = null;
switch (e.keyCode) {
case 74: // 'j' was pressed
choiceID = 1;
break;
case 75: // 'k' was pressed
choiceID = 2;
break;
}
if (choiceID) {
Event.stopObserving(document, 'keydown', keydownCallback);
that.setChoiceValue(choiceID, true);
that.clickNextButton();
}
});

});

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnReady(function()
{
/*Place your JavaScript here to run when the page is fully displayed*/

});

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnUnload(function()
{
/*Place your JavaScript here to run when the page is unloaded*/

});
icon

Best answer by TomG 17 January 2019, 14:01

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
The code you posted requires that you have a one multiple choice question on the page with two choices where the choice ids are 1 and 2. If that's the case, then if choice 1 is selected, they pressed j. If choice 2 is selected they pressed k.
> @TomG said:
> The code you posted requires that you have a one multiple choice question on the page with two choices where the choice ids are 1 and 2. If that's the case, then if choice 1 is selected, they pressed j. If choice 2 is selected they pressed k.

Can I still use this code if my survey does not have multiple choice question? Because in the survey, participants need to watch a video and press j or k as yes or no to respond. Does that mean I need to change the code in order to record which key is being pressed in the output file?
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @phydan1324 said:
> > @TomG said:
> > The code you posted requires that you have a one multiple choice question on the page with two choices where the choice ids are 1 and 2. If that's the case, then if choice 1 is selected, they pressed j. If choice 2 is selected they pressed k.
>
> Can I still use this code if my survey does not have multiple choice question? Because in the survey, participants need to watch a video and press j or k as yes or no to respond. Does that mean I need to change the code in order to record which key is being pressed in the output file?

@phydan1324,
I don't understand what you are doing. If yes and no aren't answers to a question, what are they?
So participants need to press a key (j or k) after watching a video, which the key represents yes or no. But I dont have the two choices present on the page, they just press a key and advance. !
This is how it looks like on preview.
> @TomG said:
> > @phydan1324 said:
> > > @TomG said:
> > > The code you posted requires that you have a one multiple choice question on the page with two choices where the choice ids are 1 and 2. If that's the case, then if choice 1 is selected, they pressed j. If choice 2 is selected they pressed k.
> >
> > Can I still use this code if my survey does not have multiple choice question? Because in the survey, participants need to watch a video and press j or k as yes or no to respond. Does that mean I need to change the code in order to record which key is being pressed in the output file?
>
> @phydan1324,
> I don't understand what you are doing. If yes and no aren't answers to a question, what are they?

Thanks for the help! I think I have figured out how I can do it!
Badge +1

Would you be able to share how you figured out how to do this? I am doing something similar. phydan1324

Leave a Reply