What is the best user experience for a pick list with 2800 options? | XM Community

What is the best user experience for a pick list with 2800 options?

• 5 February 2019
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +20
We have a question that asks users to select their option from a dropdown list of 2,800 options. They can select multiple options but have to hold the CTRL button while selecting. The reason we went with the dropdown picklist is for consistency in reporting. If we allow free text response it gets hard to align the responses because of spelling errors etc. Scrolling through 2,800 options is a _terrible_ user experience. Should we just allow free text responses or is there a better way to do this type of question?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +38
Do these fit into categories to break them up? I am having a hard time imaging 2,800 truly unique responses. Perhaps if some are very similar the list can be narrowed or a drill down question type might be useful.

Not having an idea of what the 2,800 is making it difficult to provide concrete suggestions.
Userlevel 4
Badge +20
@bstrahin it's a list of 2,800 people. I thought about a drill down option but that means the user needs to know more about the person other than their name. Unfortunately, that is unlikely.
Userlevel 7
Badge +38
Depending on the follow-up you have to do from this question. Could you chunk this into separate scroll boxes for say Names A-H, I-M, N-Z (etc.)?
Userlevel 4
Badge +20
Not a bad idea @bstrahin!!!

I wonder if there is a way to add some type of JS for autocomplete or suggestions as a user types???
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
I had a few thoughts on this. 1. If you have multiple dropdowns, will that decrease a respondents likelihood of opening more than one category? If so, I would suggest having instructions that set a minimum selections (for example: "you must select at least three"). 2. another option is maybe having a category list. Basically a category header and options listed in several columns. That way the options or listed out for the respondent to easily peruse and make selections from. This might also encourage the respondent to select more than one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@KOgles,

The best option is to use select2, which makes it easy for the respondent to search the list and select multiple items.

Leave a Reply