How to use randomization and routing/display logic in the same block?? | XM Community
Solved

How to use randomization and routing/display logic in the same block??

• 13 February 2019
  • 3 replies

Hello:

I have one block with two questions. The questions are randomized so that half of respondents see one question and the other half sees the second question. For the respondents who see the first question, if they respond "a great deal" or "a lot", I would like them to be routed to the second question in the block.

I cannot get the two logic forms to work together. When I preview either the questions do not randomize, the display logic does not work, or the entire block is skipped. I have also tried using skip logic without any luck. I have been told this can be done within the same block and I ideally like to keep it that way.

Please let me know if you can help!
icon

Best answer by TerryH 13 February 2019, 19:18

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Is there a reason why you want to keep in a single block?

This can be done relatively easy by separating the questions into two blocks. Under Survey Flow, add a Randomizer and place your two question blocks under it. Select to randomly present 1 of the elements. After the Randomizer, add a Branch with conditions that "a great deal" or "a lot" were selected in the appropriate question. Duplicate the second question block and move under the Branch condition.
Hi Terry,

Thanks for the response, it definitely worked! I want to keep it in a single block only because it's a university assignment and the professor told us it could be done this way and the instructions for our problem set specifically say two questions + logic in one block.

However, I am happy to at least have the logic working properly, even if it is two separate blocks. Thanks again.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
The problem with your original method is that the question randomization within a block ignores things like skip logic.

I think I may have figured it out. Question randomization does not ignore display logic, but this is definitely a messier approach.

Use question randomization within your block. Place both questions under Randomize questions and change setting to show 1 question on each page. In question 1, set display logic so that it is shown only if none of the responses are selected in question 2. This prevents question 1 from being shown when question 2 was asked. In question 2, set display logic so that it is shown if other levels than "a great deal" or "a lot" in question 1 are not selected with And logic.

I'd also recommend force response in validation options.

Leave a Reply