How do you put in the survey introduction and instructions? | XM Community
Solved

How do you put in the survey introduction and instructions?

How do you put in the survey introduction and instructions? I had created a bock for it and used "Descriptive" to create the intro and instructions - but this text got numbered automatically as a question (so it became Q1). So I took out the question number -- but then the first survey question remained numbered as Q2 (and not Q1).
icon

Best answer by TomG 30 April 2022, 14:56

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
Q1, Q2, etc. are just default labels. You can change them to whatever you want. So, just change Q2 to Q1 and so forth.
The first question can be your introduction/welcome and thanks for taking the time to take the survey. The second question can be instructions and/or a brief overview of what the survey is about. It really depends on what and how you want to start things off. You can use as many questions as you like for intro and instructions, I recommend no more than 3. Don't worry about the numbering you can re-number and change. labels later. Hope this helps!
I would also try and make instructions as clear and concise as possible. It is important that survey-takers understand what to do quickly and without any confusion. I suggest 2-5 sentences, depending on how complex the survey is. You want to make sure the survey-taker understands what to do without getting overwhelmed or bored. Good luck!!
But if you use descriptive text and delete choice option then it gives an error
Badge

This isn't helpful. I'm stuck with a box that is waiting for an answer and I don't require an answer to the instruction page.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hello, SaraS, I'm sorry to see that your question has not been addressed yet here on the Community. Do you still need assistance with this issue? If so, please let me know, and we'll connect you with help to resolve your question.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Michael_Cooksey, I have the same question. I want an intro with instructions that does not require a question field. How do I do that?

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/45925#Comment_45925Use a Text/Graphic question.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

TomG, I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean. This is the first time in several years that I've worked on a Qualtrics survey. From what I can tell, if I use a text question, it requires a text response. I just want a text block that I type the intro in, not one that respondents type in. I can't see how to add simple text to the survey.

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/45927#Comment_45927Select "Text / Graphic" instead of "Text entry":
image.png

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/45928#Comment_45928Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

nicolebay are you all squared away now on this question?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/45949#Comment_45949Yes, I am. Thank you!

Badge

I also need to create a first section in a survey and include some descriptive text on the survey.
I am fine to use the Text/Graphic question type but I encounter a character limit of 20.000 characters! Is there a way to overcome such character limit? If not, can I submit a feature request to have a less restricted character limit.
I have also tried creating a block (as an intro page) and add description that way but it it does not allow me to enter introductory text either.
Any help welcome
Anna

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/55022#Comment_55022You could break your text up into multiple Text/Graphic questions on the same page.

Badge

right ok but a no character limit would be handy

Badge +4

Hello ALL, In the same category… I have a Word document containing the verbiage i will have on my intro page of my survey. The issue or better stated question, is it possible to add the Word document to my library and then as updates are completed to the Word document [outside of Qualtrics] and the library file then updated the intro page updates automatically. When i added the document to my library, it only shows a link to the document on my intro page - when i’d like the verbiage from the document to show!?! [I getting the feeling it’s going to end up being a copy and paste situation in the end!?!] Thanks to ALL in advance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

Since Qualtrics assigns everything a number - even if it is not a Question per se, I have taken to changing the numbering to R# (instead of Q#) just so that I can explain to clients that it is a REFERENCE number, not a QUESTION number (and then of course, to not SHOW questions numbers in live surveys).

It would be nice if Descriptive /Graphic elements had a separate numbering system (T1, T2) from Questions (and then not appear regardless of whether question numbers are on or off) but until that is the case, I find R# to be an adequate workaround for most clients.

Leave a Reply