How do I ensure a web service has a response before proceeding in the survey flow? | XM Community
Solved

How do I ensure a web service has a response before proceeding in the survey flow?

• 12 March 2019
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5
I have a form that takes data from a web service in between different blocks as part of the survey flow. For some calls (lots of data) the response time takes long enough that the web service has already moved on to the next block in the survey. The web service itself fails with a 'broken pipe' message and the survey then doesn't have the required embedded data for the user to continue. Is there a way to extend the timeout? Or trigger the web service without using the next button?
icon

Best answer by dsweeney 19 March 2019, 03:36

View original

6 replies

Hello @dsweeney ,

Make sure you have unchecked the Fire and Forget option and also you can apply branch logic based on the returned result.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Thanks @Shashi,
Unfortunately that's not going to help. I already have Fire and Forget unchecked and the reason I can't apply any branch logic is that the embedded data field is not populated with data when the form moves on. I'm not getting the returned result as the Web Service at the Qualtrics end gives up before the Web Service server can supply the data.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
I had a response from Qualtrics support. They said there's no way to extend the timeout for the web service in the survey flow and so I'll need to modify the external API to respond differently.

https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/comment/12232#Comment_12232I am experiencing a similar problem - A web service in the survey flow is supposed to make a post to an external email validation service (goes beyond the built in qualtrics functionality) and while testing I see that the service does not fire until the end of the survey. What would be the point of adding a web service to the survey flow if it doesn't fire until the end of the survey? Right now I'm creating a branch in the survey flow -> question (enter email) -> send Post to web service for validation -> does not fire until end of survey

also, to add to the problem description - when i click "test" in the web service I get an immediate valid response - which tells me there's either something wrong with the survey flow or there's a bug that won't let it fire until the end of the survey

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi Ane0025
I'm hoping to implement a webservice that returns true or false if certain fields match internal records (on a different system). I think you are trying to apply the same logic (ie don't move on until you get a valid response). Is this something you found a solution to? I'm thinking javascript with an extra button that needs to be clicked to submit and check the details before the 'next' button can be clicked. Have you tried doing a webservice API call via some JS code in the question (I've not managed to find an example yet doing it this way so I'm still searching myself!)
Thanks
Rod Pestell

Leave a Reply