Generate Personalized Link for Unknown Respondents & Append Unique ID | XM Community
Solved

Generate Personalized Link for Unknown Respondents & Append Unique ID

• 14 March 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge +4
I need to find a way that I can pre-create a list of personalized survey links for as-yet-unknown respondents, give this list of potential survey links to another department, and have them distribute the links outside of Qualtrics. The trick is they'll need to know which "event id" (randomly generated) the respondent is associated with, and they are unwilling to ask the respondent to type in the event id. So it has to be embedded in the data somehow, without asking the user to type it in. Is there a way to do this? Could the "event id" be appended someone to the pre-generated personalized survey link?
icon

Best answer by TomG 14 March 2019, 16:05

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
If you are creating personalized links then you must be using a contact list. Just add the event id as an embedded field to the contact list and add it as an embedded data variable in your survey. If event id is unique for each respondent, it would be a good idea to make event id the ExternalReferenceData field if you aren't already using that field.

Since you don't know who these people are, it's not clear to me why you need a contact list and personalized links. You could use an anonymous survey link then add the event id as a parameter at the end of the url (&eventid=XYZ) and as an embedded data variable in your survey. You could use a Contact Trigger to create a contact list of the people who complete the survey.
Badge +4
@TomG We're a community college and my experience is limited to emailing surveys to known respondents. What you're describing sounds like a perfect solution, so I'll see if I can google how it's done. Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +38
@mtmaniaci before you spend too much time googling, you might want to check out this support page on Query Strings (the term for what TomG was describing in his second paragraph)

https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/survey-flow/standard-elements/passing-information-through-query-strings/

Leave a Reply