Creating a Calculated Field for Respondents to see Pricing of Services Purchased | XM Community
Solved

Creating a Calculated Field for Respondents to see Pricing of Services Purchased

• 19 March 2019
  • 2 replies

Hi,

I am working on a survey that has two multiple choice questions. The first question is a single choice answer where respondents can select between 4 options (all different priced options). For the second question, it is a multi-choice where respondents can select as many services as they are interested with all prices.

I am hoping to create a calculated field at the end of the survey to tell respondents the total price of the choices they selected. I was able to recode the first question and use piped text to show the price on that question. However, when it comes to the second question, it will not work because respondents can select multiple choices.

Additionally, for two of the choices in the second question, I will need to multiply the recoded variable by the number of participants the service will serve (which is another question asked in the survey).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
icon

Best answer by TomG 20 March 2019, 01:37

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@sarahreinhold2,

If it were just the multiple choice issue, you could use scoring instead of recodes to calculate the total:
https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/survey-tools/scoring/

However, given the requirement to multiply specific choices by the answer to another question, I think the only way to do it is with JavaScript or webservice.
@TomG ,

Thank you with the suggestion of scoring. I was able to talk to a Qualtrics support staff today and what we did was a combination of scoring and creating an embedded field. I scored all of the responses that were a flat price. I then created a calculated field called Total Price. For the three responses that didn't have a flat price and relied on the number of people who would get this priced service, I did the answer to the # of the people receiving the service multiplied by the price of the service.

My total price then equaled the scored responses + (the # of people receiving the service * price of the service).

It looked like this in my embedded data field.

Total Price= $e{ gr://SC_6xHuSnsNJXroyRn/Score + ( q://QID69/ChoiceTextEntryValue * 10 ) + ( q://QID79/ChoiceTextEntryValue * 8 ) + ( q://QID80/ChoiceTextEntryValue * 12 ) }

I then entered in the embedded data in a descriptive text box to show the total price of purchases requested.

Leave a Reply