Custom Fill-in-the-Blank Drop-Down Questions | XM Community
Question

Custom Fill-in-the-Blank Drop-Down Questions

Badge +1
Hello,

I would be interested in learning if anyone has figured out how to create a custom fill-in-the blank drop-down style question as a way of collecting multiple data points in a more fun and concise way. For example, I would like to use it for something like this:

I am a [age] year-old [gender] from [country].

!

It would be awesome if this could accommodate both text and single-select response options. Any luck?

Thanks,

Jessica

19 replies

Hello @GolsonJ ,

You can either create whole question using custom HTML and store the data in embedded data or you can use qualtrics elements and give the same look and feel like image using JS
Badge +1
Thank you, Shashi. Unfortunately I don't know my way around this coding so I was hoping someone would be able to show me how to set it up.
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@GolsonJ,

I've done a text fill in question this way. I could extend it to do include single select drop downs in addition. Feel free to send me a private message if interested.
Badge
@TomG

I'd love to see what you created as well as I have that same question. I just joined Qualtrics Community and I think I may have messaged you but maybe I commented in the wrong place. How does one private-message?
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @AlyssaL036 said:
> @TomG
>
> I'd love to see what you created as well as I have that same question. I just joined Qualtrics Community and I think I may have messaged you but maybe I commented in the wrong place. How does one private-message?
>
You posted on my wall. To send a private message go to the user's profile and click New Message (in the top box with their name).
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
I've modified the text fill in script to include searchable drop-downs. Drop-downs allow for saving of option id or text. I've also added auto-sizing of text input fields and support for numbers and proper names. Configuration is all html (i.e., no script editing required).

Demo:
!
> @TomG said:
> I've modified the text fill in script to include searchable drop-downs. Drop-downs allow for saving of option id or text. I've also added auto-sizing of text input fields and support for numbers and proper names. Configuration is all html (i.e., no script editing required).
>
> Demo:
> !
>

I need exactly this I think...though I only need one drop down menu. Where can I see the html behind the scenes?
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @Tcraig said:
> I need exactly this I think...though I only need one drop down menu. Where can I see the html behind the scenes?
I didn't mean to imply there was no JS. What I meant was that all the configuration is done in html, so that the same script can be used on any question with any number of fields without modification to any JS.
@TomG would you be able to share how you did that with HTML? I am not familiar and would love to learn!
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
@TomG this is really cool. Any chance you could share the QSF file?

TomG Hi Tom is there any chance you could demonstrate how to do this? I'm designing a survey for my research project and would like to include something like this

TomG Hi Tom,
How can i change the below query to show country in a dropdown box before you select the country.
Thanks for your help
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function() {  
    jQuery("textarea").attr("placeholder","Text field");
});

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

Fahad ,
jQuery("#"+this.questionId+" select").attr("placeholder","country");

TomG thanks

Does anyone have this cloze code to hand? Much appreciated! :)

Is there any step-by-step guide on how to set these types of questions up?
I'm not familiar with Java or HTML so really need more guidance!

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/comment/30936#Comment_30936I get a lot of inquiries about the example fill-in-the-blank question I posted above. It is done with an advanced JavaScript function I wrote. All configuration is done with html, so the same function can be used on any fill-in-the-blank question and no JavaScript knowledge or changes are necessary. It took and significant amount of time to create and I've made a number of enhancements since I posted the example above.
Several clients have paid me for it, so I don't give it away. The way it works is I implement their first question for them to serve as an example then provide the script and question in a .qsf. I also provide a link to a wiki with instructions and configuration documentation.
As of now, functionality includes:

• Supports any mix of text input and drop-downs

• Produces highly usable response data

• All configuration through HTML (no JavaScript knowledge necessary)

• Auto-sizing of input boxes to match input

• Searchable drop-downs

• Supports text and number inputs

• Supports word completion questions

• On-the-fly input masking and formatting

• Date/time picker integration 

Anyone who is interested can contact me via private message.

Userlevel 1

Hi i have a requirement to store survey responses in html format, as opposed to csv or text, the client need to see the survey response in html but in the html of the survey form (if u know what i mean).
Can this be accomplish with custom javascript functions?

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Is there a step-by-step method for this? 

Leave a Reply