How to add a drop down menu within a multiple choice question? | XM Community
Solved

How to add a drop down menu within a multiple choice question?

• 25 March 2019
  • 13 replies

Hi everyone,
I wanted to add a drop down menu to an option of a multiple choice question.
!
Thank you so much!
icon

Best answer by TomG 25 March 2019, 16:06

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
Choose Dropdown List from the Multiple Choice question options:
!
Thank you for your speedy reply! I don't want all the choices within a dropdown list, but only one certain option. Say if you choose "Asian food", the drop down menu including "Chinese; Japanese; Korean" will pop up.
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@Curney,

Sorry, I didn't read carefully enough. Without getting into complicated code, you could add a second question immediately after this one with inline display logic.

A second non-code option, would be to make Asian Food a group instead of an answer option, then put the Korean Food, etc. options in the Asian Food group and only allow one option to be selected from the group.

Otherwise, to get what you really asked about, you can add "Allow text entry" to Asian Food, then hide the text input and add a select in its place. Then when some picks something from the select update the text input with the select value.
Thanks Tom!! Don't know there are so many ways to achieve my goal at first, and I used the first option you provided. 😃

TomG - Could you please explain step 3 you had suggested in detail? I have similar requirement and I would like to try the third approach with "Allow Text Entry". I am not sure how to hide the text input and add a select in place.

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

Vikas ,
To do the third option you have to write JavaScript. The JS would hide the text entry box, create a drop-down, and copy the selected drop-down value to the hidden text entry.

@Curney,
This one is the easiest way which I found so far. 🙂
image.png

Badge +3

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/12663#Comment_12663Thanks for this suggestion Tom! I don't seem to have that option in my survey editor. Do you know if this is an additional paid feature or perhaps something that has now been discontinued? Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/42170#Comment_42170Qualtrics has changed the interface since this I gave that answer. See image below:
image.png

Badge +3

Thank you! I still don't seem to have that option which is weird, only list and select box. Thanks for getting back to me anyway 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/42173#Comment_42173If the question is multiple answer, you won't have the Dropdown option because that is only applicable to single answer.

Badge

Vikas ,
To do the third option you have to write JavaScript. The JS would hide the text entry box, create a drop-down, and copy the selected drop-down value to the hidden text entry.

How exactly can I do that?

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

Vikas ,

How exactly can I do that?

You can contact by private message if you want to engage me to write it for you.

However, since you brought up this topic again, another option is the function mcSubChoices, which easily turns a multi-select MC into a multi-select MC with sub choices.

Leave a Reply