1 question, multiple text entry fields | XM Community
Solved

1 question, multiple text entry fields

• 28 March 2019
  • 7 replies

Hi! Can anyone recommend how to create a question that could receive multiple text entry responses? Imagine a question like: "please write down what comes to mind when you think of X" followed by multiple text entry fields. Something like a form, but without labels. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
icon

Best answer by TomG 28 March 2019, 15:02

View original

7 replies

Badge +1
Yep! In question type hit the down arrow to the right of text entry and select "form" and choose how many form fields you want. I think you knew this part. But then in the label you want to remove, type " " without quotes and hit enter and the label disappears.

!

!
Thanks StevenA. This almost solves it. Ideally I'd like to make the text entry boxes align left as the formatting looks a bit wonky with this workaround. Any idea how to remove the label space entirely?

!
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@AndyScisco,

Use this JS:
```
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function() {
jQuery("#"+this.questionId+" td:not(.ControlContainer)").hide();
});
```
You can label the rows whatever you want (e.g., 1, 2, 3, etc.).
@TomG

Works like a charm! Thanks!

!
Hi again @TomG!
Just a follow up question. In your response you mentioned that it is possible to number the rows. I've tested inserting numbers (in what normally would be the label field) but nothing shows up on the live survey. Is there a trick to this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @AndyScisco said:
> Hi again @TomG!
> Just a follow up question. In your response you mentioned that it is possible to number the rows. I've tested inserting numbers (in what normally would be the label field) but nothing shows up on the live survey. Is there a trick to this?

Why did you you say my original answer worked like a charm, then downvote it?

The line of script I provided hides the label column...that's why I pointed out that you can put anything you want in the label because the respondent won't see it.

If you want to number the inputs, you need to change the width of the input column instead of hiding the label column:
```
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function() {
jQuery("#"+this.questionId+" td.ControlContainer").css("width", "95%");
});
```
Hi @TomG! Thanks for clarifying! I didn't realize I'd downvoted your response - sorry, that was unintentional.

Leave a Reply