Skip logic if no answer is selected?

• 12 April 2019
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Hi community!

How do you direct non-responses to other questions? Here is the scenario:

Q1
Have you had surgery to your breasts related to cancer?
00: No
01: Yes, a reduction
02: Yes, a single breast removed
03: Yes, both removed

If EMPTY, go to Q15
If 00, go to End of Block
If 01, go to Q2
If 02 or 03, go to Q3.

If there a way to directly say "If this question is left empty, go to xxx" ?

EDIT: I failed to mention I cannot use Survey Flow branching logic because respondents need to be able to back up and change their answers (project requirement form client!)
icon

Best answer by Pete_L 12 April 2019, 15:18

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Yes: In your survey flow. Although it is a matter of saying if "if all answers are not selected" rather than "if question is empty" as you have stated:
!

You'll have to move some stuff into separate blocks to make it work.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
I'm unable to use survey flow because respondents need to be able to back up and change their answers 😞 Using the survey flow prevents backing up whenever logic actions happen.

Client requirement.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
I found a solution:

1. Added a default response option "WEB SKIP"
2. Added skip logic - If web skip is selected, go to...
3. In the survey CSS I applied a display:none; style to the element.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
I like that solution; smart @Pete_L.
Badge

@Pete_L Hi Pete! I know this is from quite some time ago but could you please provide the code you used in step 3? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

@Pete_L Hi Pete! I know this is from quite some time ago but could you please provide the code you used in step 3? 

Sure thing!

It changes depending on the question usually, but Qualtrics is pretty consistent in the structure of their IDs. Here’s the general code that you add to the Look & Feel > Style > Custom CSS box.

.QID113-3-label {display: none;}

To find the values for QID##-#-label, you preview your survey and push F12 in Chrome or Firefox, then use the “Select Element” tool in the top left of the dev tools (looks like an arrow pointing into a box) and then click on the option you want to hide.

You’ll see the dev tools highlight a line of code and in the code you’ll see something like:
id=”QID113-3-label”

Leave a Reply