Conditional Randomization based on previously randomized question (whichever wasn't picked) | XM Community
Question

Conditional Randomization based on previously randomized question (whichever wasn't picked)

• 12 April 2019
  • 4 replies

How do I pick a question at random from a group of questions and then afterwards ask another question from the same group that excludes whichever questions was already asked?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +38
Would they be one right after another in the survey? Then you could put them in a block together and use the randomizer to randomly pick a question without repeating. If you want this to be a bank of 10 and only ask 2 that's doable by putting them all in the same block and using advanced randomization to display a random subset.
Technically no, since there are a series of questions (also randomized) that they need to see after each of the questions.

To be specific, I have 16 images total.
1a-h and 2a-h. A participant should be randomly exposed to any one of those images (say 1b), then given 5 questions in random order, then exposed to the corresponding image in the 2 category (in this case 2b), then given the same 5 questions in random order.

There needs to be just as many instances of participants seeing 1b then 2b as 2b followed by 1b. Does that make sense?
Userlevel 7
Badge +38
@TysonGersh this does make sense. In that case I would use Survey Flow for your randomization. It will pick A-H for the condition and use branching logic to show the appropriate questions.

In your survey editor you will have a block that is 6 questions long for each of your 16 conditions. E.G. Block Condition 1A will show that image, and then have the 5 questions and be set to randomize those 5 questions but always leave the image first.

You can find an example attached (I only built out two conditions). In the Survey Flow I gave you an example of how you can randomize whether 2A or 1A comes first. But if 1 should always come first then you will use the set up for 1A and 1B.

Areas to look at:
* Block randomization
* Survey Flow
I'm trying to figure out how to open this file right now. I've created a new blank survey and am trying to import it via the tools-> import option, but it doesn't actually load anything?
Wait, just kidding, Apparently I had to exit and re-enter the survey from the home page for the changes to take effect.

Working through it now. Will confirm when I've got it all worked out thank you

Leave a Reply