Using a rank order question to figure out a top three vote | XM Community

Using a rank order question to figure out a top three vote

• 17 April 2019
  • 3 replies

I'm trying to use a rank order question to calculate an overall top three topics of interest for my students. In the past, doing this via hard copy, I would have them rank their preferences from 1 to 10, out of maybe 15-20 options; then, I would assign 10 points for a rank of 1, 9 for a rank of 2, 8 for a rank of 3, and so forth, and tally everything up. Is there a way to use data collected from a rank order question like this? All of the graphs and such seem to show data for fixed rankings, not some kind of collective calculation.

3 replies

Badge +1
The rank order reports the order that the user arranged the items. If you have (e.g.) three responses (R1, R2, R3), the downloaded data will show (e.g.) R2, R3, R1.

Download the data as a CSV after all students have responded. Import into a spreadsheet. Then for each column (1st choice, 2nd choice, etc.) the spreadsheet can count the number of times each response occurs. This function is built into most spreadsheet programs.
Userlevel 7
Badge +33
Yes you can do by writing java script and puncing Rank1, rank 2.... and so on as embeded data so that you can show summary of rank1, rank2 and so on in your graphs, you can use code like below for drag drop ranking to find top 3 ranks:-
` var rank= "${q://QID2/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices}";

var rank_split=rank.split(",");

var Rank_1 = rank_split[0];
var Rank_2 = rank_split[1];
var Rank_3= rank_split[2];

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData( 'Reason_1', Rank_1 );
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData( 'Reason_2', Rank_2 );
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData( 'Reason_3', Rank_3 );`
Where are you putting that java script?

Leave a Reply