Can I make sub-blocks? | XM Community
Solved

Can I make sub-blocks?

• 19 March 2018
  • 4 replies

I have a 2x4 factorial design and was wondering if it is possible to do show the respondents a specific pair of blocks and still randomize the order?
I need two different blocks displayed to every of the three treatment groups. So, let’s say there is Method A, B and C (one respondent should only see one of them), and each has part 1 and 2 (one respondent should see both within the method displayed to him). I found how the randomly display either A, B or C. Right now I have 1 and 2 together in one block, however it is necessary that 1 isn’t always displayed first, so that this is also randomised within the three methods, but I can’t seem to make sub-blocks within one block. I hope I explained this so people can understand. Would be great if someone could help. Thank you!!!
icon

Best answer by TomG 19 March 2018, 20:34

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I think I understand correctly!

You can use Qualtric's Random Number Generator (`${rand://int/1:10}`) to create a pseudorandom number. I know there is a lot you can do with the Javascript API, but if you want to avoid technicality and use the Qualtrics Platform (always the best choice in my opinion), you could do the following:

1) On survey start, assign a random number to a person via the `rand` function and set that to an embedded data field.

2) Do a Logic Branch in your survey flow as such:

!

and then divert them to the blocks with logic using the random number.

That may be a little bit of footwork, but I think that you could get the results that you're looking for that way. If you're willing to get into the Javascript API, let me know and I can walk you through that as well!
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@kabi,

If I understand correctly, I think you want pick 1 of A, B, C, then within each of those groups show 2 blocks in random order. You can use nested randomizers with branches that are always true, like this:
!
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
(@TomG: I awarded Genius for your thoroughness!)
Thanks so much to both of you for taking the time! It worked!

Leave a Reply