Why is the back button not enabled by default? | XM Community

Why is the back button not enabled by default?

• 25 April 2019
  • 2 replies

While this is not a "code red" sort of feature request, I wonder why the back button is not implemented on all surveys by default. Some of our inexperienced survey creators do not enable it, and it causes issues
-- people skip forward in a survey to see future questions and find they can't go back
-- people partially complete surveys, thinking they can return to a previous screen, and they can't
-- if their link is sent via a panel, it appears that they cannot go back at all, even if they open an incognito window or go to a different computer, they have to contact the survey creator

What is the use case for having no back button, and don't most surveys have one? Seeking to understand...

2 replies

Badge +6
@sek4278, Good question! all below commenst are my own thinking/experience :)

It totally depend what type of survey it is. When it comes to some complex/incentive survey back button make survey response biased. Lets take an example of a survey where you are collectiong information of the brand they have used most frequently and based on that they will take openion on upcoming products, then there is high probability that respondent can try out what are all product given brands are offering by going back and forth.

Also from technical point of view, for a complex survey where lots of logics are involved it is very difficult to undo the steps just carried out and take it back to the original state.
Ahh. I see. I had asked our admin if it was possible to change the default to display the back button -- for our campus, as most of our surveys are relatively simple and created by occasional users. Admin was not sure...

Leave a Reply