How to randomly allocate certain respondents, based on previous answers, to different branches? | XM Community
Solved

How to randomly allocate certain respondents, based on previous answers, to different branches?

• 30 April 2019
  • 2 replies

Hi All!

I'm fairly new to using Qualtrics and have come up against a problem in building my survey that I can't seem to find a solution to online.

I have 2 'filter' questions for respondents, asking their familiarity with 2 different innovations.
If a respondent is familiar with innovation X, they are then branched to the question block about innovation X.
If a respondent is familiar with innovation Y, they are then branched to the question block about innovation Y.
If they are familiar with neither, they are skipped past this section.

The problem I am having is when a respondent is familiar with BOTH X and Y. In this case, I want them to be randomly allocated to one of the two innovation - specific question blocks.

I have played around with randomizers, but can't seem to get it to work with the branching logic I already have.

I'd be very grateful for any insights you have!
icon

Best answer by WaterSampler 30 April 2019, 16:06

View original

2 replies

Badge +1
Have you looked at scoring?

You could create a category for X and another for Y. After leaving the X block and Y block, the scores would be calculated. You can then assign the scores to embedded data variables and then use the embedded data variables to control access to the third block.
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@Laurie,

You can set embedded data flags then use those in branch logic. Such as:
```
If familiar with X and Y
Randomizer Pick 1 of 2 Evenly Presented
displayX = 1
displayY = 1
if familiar with X and displayX <> 1 and displayY <> 1
displayX = 1
if familiar with Y and displayX <> 1 and displayY <> 1