How to Pipe text into responses? | XM Community
Solved

How to Pipe text into responses?

I have a survey where I want to pipe in responses from a previous question and add text to them. For example, if I select "Financial software" on the previous question, I want the next question to say "How likely are you to recommend your financial software?" Any help would be appreciated!
icon

Best answer by Michael_Campbell_RedPepper 20 March 2018, 21:18

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Yeah! It's not to bad! There are two ways to approach this - you could use Loop & Merge or Piped Text: In the text of your next question, while you have the editor open, hit the piped text button on the top right, and then follow through as my example below:

!

It should show something like this in the text of the next question `${q://QID3/ChoiceTextEntryValue}`. That is the piped text value.
Thanks, is there a way I could pull written responses from a different question and have them inputted as answers? I'm trying to get a written response from someone then have them rate their written response on a scale
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
@baxter Absolutely, you can use the same method as @Michael_Campbell_RedPepper showed above to pipe text in to answer options.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
For sure!

!

This is quite the trail, but if you follow it, you'll get what you need!
As a follow up to this, when I add in piped text into a question, using "selected choices" ie. Q2: "What do you do with x"? where x is selected choices from Q1, it appears blank?
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@NeilM - There has to be a page break between Q1 and Q2 for piped text to work.
Fantastic. Thanks Tom.

As a follow up I have a multiple choice question that has an "other" option with a text box that I am piping from. When i do the above it only displays as "other" is there a way to display selected options and what is typed in the "other" text box?
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @NeilM said:
> Fantastic. Thanks Tom.
>
> As a follow up I have a multiple choice question that has an "other" option with a text box that I am piping from. When i do the above it only displays as "other" is there a way to display selected options and what is typed in the "other" text box?

Yes, pipe "Selected Choices - Entered Text" instead of "Selected Choices".
> @NeilM said:
> Fantastic. Thanks Tom.
>
> As a follow up I have a multiple choice question that has an "other" option with a text box that I am piping from. When i do the above it only displays as "other" is there a way to display selected options and what is typed in the "other" text box?

@NeilM - We need to select `Selected Choices - Entered Text` from the dropdown to get the other text piped in. Eg: syntax will be `${q://QID1/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoicesTextEntry}`
> @TomG said:
> > @NeilM said:
> > Fantastic. Thanks Tom.
> >
> > As a follow up I have a multiple choice question that has an "other" option with a text box that I am piping from. When i do the above it only displays as "other" is there a way to display selected options and what is typed in the "other" text box?
>
> Yes, pipe "Selected Choices - Entered Text" instead of "Selected Choices".

Excellent. Thanks again Tom.

Leave a Reply