Group Management | XM Community
Solved

Group Management

Badge +3
Hello! I'm hoping to gain some insight on how other Higher Ed. brand admins handle management of groups. Our campus has five people with brand admin privileges, but management of our brand is generally handled solely by me. To that effect, creation and management of Qualtrics groups started as a somewhat daunting task, considering only brand admins can create, delete, or alter group membership.

The API provides an easy way create/delete groups, and to add/remove users based on data we have external to Qualtrics, but it misses the crucial ability to actually check what users are members of a group. As a workaround, I've taken to screen scraping the data from group pages on a consistent basis. This seemed like a better option than attempting to repeatedly add/remove the same users through the API, and building an external list based on the results.

While the screen scraping has worked, I'd like to see how other brands handle management of groups and hopefully use that knowledge to improve our process.
icon

Best answer by MichelleC 6 May 2019, 17:12

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Our method here at MSU is very manual. We have one central set of BAs (maybe 8 people?) for our entire campus. We require people who need to have a group created or changes to a group made submit a ticket to our Service Desk and it's handled from the ticket when it arrives in our emails. Groups can be created any any of the BAs - we don't have assigned roles, except for "level 1" (access issues, etc) and "level 2" type tickets, so anyone who is free can do them.

The university's usage of Qualtrics is heavy, but mostly by a modestly narrow strip of users, although that is expanding.
Badge +3
Thanks Michelle! Do you see many student requests for groups? I haven't quite figured out if I should be wary of being flooded with requests for groups that will see use for maybe a semester or two.

Also, do you have a naming scheme of some kind for group names?
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
@djrits, you know, I don't think we have a huge number of student groups. We have a lot of groups that students are part of (on-campus works, labs, etc), but not too many to be honest.

Our name schemes are relatively open, but we do require people TO not use acronyms. 😃
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
At Harvard, we have a similar process to MSU, though we are looking into leveraging our division admins' help. (If I'm not mistaken, division admins can also manage user groups.) We have divisions based on individual schools within our main Harvard brand, but somewhere along the line, we started to take on all group administration as the central brand admins.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
> @djrits said:
> Thanks Michelle! Do you see many student requests for groups? I haven't quite figured out if I should be wary of being flooded with requests for groups that will see use for maybe a semester or two.
>
> Also, do you have a naming scheme of some kind for group names?

@djrits, we have some student groups, but honestly, not a huge amount for a campus of our size. We do request that people request a meaningful name, not just an acronym. Lord knows, the campus LOVES its acronyms. 🙂

Leave a Reply