Using Info from a Loop & Merge on Another Loop & Merge | XM Community
Solved

Using Info from a Loop & Merge on Another Loop & Merge

Can you pipe-in text into the Loop & Merge table, from a previous loop & merge? For example, I am using Loop and Merge to gather respondent addresses for the past 10 years. So they could provide 10 past addresses. I am using a text form to collect them and looping with a yes/no question (do you have another address to list--Y/N).

Can I then somehow pipe-in the addresses they gave me into another loop that asks various questions about the residence? Utilities, water supply, how long they lived there?

I'm not sure how to pipe in fields from a Loop & merge or if it can be done. If not, can I do it by saving the addresses in embedded fields and piping-in? OR, should the first section be set up as separate blocks and referenced in the follow up questions by QID?
icon

Best answer by TomG 7 May 2019, 16:56

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
You sure can! Check out how to do it using this support document:

https://www.qualtrics.com/support/edit-survey/editing-questions/piped-text/piped-text-overview/#PipingTextFromALoopAndMergeField
The above support document assumes I want to pipe text from the same loop and merge, which isn't the case with my situation. I am collecting addresses in one loop and merge. Then I want to pipe in the addresses in a DIFFERENT loop and merge to gather additional information about each address.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Can you show me a screenshot of what it looks like when you select Insert Piped Text from your second loop and merge?

Pretty sure you can do this by inputting it into your loop and merge table but I'm thinking if you want to show a dynamic _number_ of things in the second loop and merge, you may need to get a little more fancy with your survey flow.
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@Terri_Z,

Yes, you can pipe values from a Loop & Merge. The only difference is that they have a loop number in front of the QID (e.g., ${q://1_QID1/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices}).

Also, you can pipe these values into your second Loop & Merge setup as fields.
> @TomG said:
> @Terri_Z,
>
> Yes, you can pipe values from a Loop & Merge. The only difference is that they have a loop number in front of the QID (e.g., ${q://1_QID1/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices}).
>
> Also, you can pipe these values into your second Loop & Merge setup as fields.
>

Tom: I understand the loop number in the above, but what I'm using are text for fields. which makes my pipe value: ${q://1_QID98/ChoiceGroup/AllChoicesTextEntry}, correct?

When I use that in the loop & merge, if a respondent left their city blank, the form field title prints as City. is there a way to get rid of the field titles if blank?
Tom: I understand the loop number in the above, but what I'm using are text for fields. which makes my pipe value: ${q://1_QID98/ChoiceGroup/AllChoicesTextEntry}, correct?

When I use that in the loop & merge, if a respondent left their city blank, the form field title prints as City. is there a way to get rid of the field titles if blank(see screen shot)?!
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @Terri_Z said:
> Tom: I understand the loop number in the above, but what I'm using are text for fields. which makes my pipe value: ${q://1_QID98/ChoiceGroup/AllChoicesTextEntry}, correct?
>
> When I use that in the loop & merge, if a respondent left their city blank, the form field title prints as City. is there a way to get rid of the field titles if blank?
You should probably pipe the individual items (e.g., ${q://1_QID98/ChoiceTextEntryValue/1} rather than AllChoicesTextEntry. When you do it that way, if City is blank the piped City field will be blank. You may need to use some JS to format it the way you want.

https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/comment/13945#Comment_13945Hi TomG , you mentioned that you can pipe Loop & Merge values into a second Loop & Merge setup as fields. How does that work?

Specifically hoping to solve this problem: I have an initial Loop & Merge block with a select any question, Q1. I would like to populate a second Loop & Merge block with the selected Q1 items. Qualtrics' built-in "Loop based off of a question" doesn't let me specify which loop to populate the fields from. Any ideas?

In case others happen upon this, I received an answer in a separate thread: https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/10286/populating-loop-merge-fields-with-the-selected-choices-from-another-loop-merge-question/p1

Leave a Reply