How do you pull variables from two different contact lists? | XM Community
Solved

How do you pull variables from two different contact lists?

I'm creating a request form in which I use two contact lists student list and professor list. The the student request form is linked and authorize to the student contact list. I'm currently pulling embedded data from that list.

I want to be able to pull data from the professor contact list (name, first name, last name, e-mail and telephone number{embedded data reference).

My ultimate goal is to use the action feature to send automatic e-mails with all the necessary information on the form that the student fills out and sends it to the professor.
icon

Best answer by Kate 7 May 2019, 20:51

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
You will need to upload the professors' information as a column of data in their contact list. There isn't going to be a way to associate them unless you take that step. You could have the student simply enter the professor's email; but then you might get lots of errors and unsent messages.

But then you can easily pull that information from the embedded data to trigger emails to the professor.
Thank you for responding. I'm still a little bit confused. I have created a professor contact list. I'm planning to import this data from an excel file. I currently have a test professor contact in the contact list. You're correct the students would make all kinds of errors.

what processes and steps do I take to pull the embedded data from the professor contact list. You go to tools/triggers/triggered e-mail or Action-e-mail task, When I go there. It does not give me a choice of what contact list I'm referring to student contact list or professor contact list. Both lists have the same variable columns contact list (e-mail: first name, last name, and embedded data reference). How can the software determined one list to the other.
I'm sure I'm missing something fundamental.

Just being a Qubie 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
What Kate was saying (I believe) is that you need to store the professor's contact info as Embedded Data on the Student's contact list.

So if you had Joe Student as one contact , you'd have Embedded Data fields that you create such as ProfessorFirstName, ProfessorLastName, ProfessorEmail in addition to Joe's first name, Joe's last name and Joe's email. Then, you can send the email task to ProfessorEmail. Just be sure to declare the embedded data fields at the beginning of your survey flow and leave the value blank to pull in the data from the contact list.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Thanks for the clarification, @jpardicusick! For a visual example:

!

Then pull that information from the contact list to the embedded data:
https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/survey-flow/standard-elements/embedded-data/#SettingValuesFromAContactList

And then use that data via piping to do whatever you need!:
https://www.qualtrics.com/support/edit-survey/editing-questions/piped-text/piped-text-overview/#PipingFromAnEmbeddedDataField
!

To give you more of a visual representation. Here's two screenshots.
Once the reasonable accommodations have been created, they need to be e-mail to the instructor. So one list has the students contact information that is being authorized. The second is the list of instructors who should get an e-mail once the reasonable accommodations have
!

been create to.
This form will be used for every class for every student for the whole time that the student is going to school.
In some cases, a student may have the same professor for different classes. Most students have 2 to 4 classes in which a reasonable accommodation form will need to be issued.
I think you know what I'm trying to do. The question is whether or not it's possible . The bottom line is, can you use to contacts list within the same questionnaire? Sorry to be little time to get back its finals here.
opps! here is the second image !
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
You can't use two contact lists but you could add multiple "Professor" fields to store each professor. Professor1, Professor1Email, Professor2, Professor2Email, etc.
Thank you for the help!

Leave a Reply