Text iQ Rules | XM Community
Solved

Text iQ Rules

Badge +1
Hi Support Community,

I'm using Text iQ for the first time to code my open-ended text responses, and want to find out what coding rules are available. (Example below.)

I scoured the Qualtrics site in search of a list of coding rules, but was unable to find one. Does anyone know where I might be able to find something of the sort? Or is there only a very limited set of rules available?

E.g., I want to find all words that contain the word "flight" (e.g., flight, flights). Is there a wildcard character (e.g., flight*) I can use to find those words instead of typing them all out?

Thanks!
Joyce
icon

Best answer by PeeyushBansal 10 May 2019, 04:32

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +33
flight will take both flight and flights while if you fix it in double codes like "flight" it will than take only flight.

follow these too

Narrow results with 'and'
You can search for formal and dress in the same query to return results that have both keywords. Instead of and you can also use & or &&.

Broaden results with 'or'
The query formal dress or suit will return results that contain either the phrase formal dress or the term suit. To capture results that contain any of the three unique terms, search for formal or dress or suit. Instead of or you can also use | or ||.

Narrow results with 'not'
To remove results about the dressing room, try dress not room. The not will negate the following term or parenthetical clause (e.g. formal not (dress or suit)). Instead of not you can also use -

Be careful using or with negated terms. For example, the query dress or not suit will result in all responses that do not contain the term suit --- that would probably be more results than you intended.

If you want to search for the literal term ‘not’ and not have it treated as an operator, you will need to use it in an exact phrase (see Narrow results with Exact Operators below). For example, "not happy" will match the actual phrase not happy.

Narrow results with Exact Operators
Exact operator pairs (such as "", «», and 「」) are used to match terms exactly as written (variants of the word and misspellings will not be matched, but case differences will still be ignored). Even punctuation can be searched for when included within exact operators (e.g. "!").

Furthermore, reserved keywords such as and, or and not can be searched for within exact operators (e.g. "not"). To search for double quotes, include a pair of double quotes back to back (e.g. """").

"""not happy""" will match I am "not happy" but not I am not happy.

Complex queries with parentheses
The query (gown or prom) and (suit or tuxedo) finds results mentioning formal wear for both genders. Parentheses also change the precedence of different query components. For example, in the query formal and (dress or suit), all of the results contain the term formal and either the term dress or the term suit.

Broaden results with '~#'
Consecutive search terms are considered a search phrase, (e.g. formal dress). The order and proximity of terms in a phrase matter. However, order and proximity restrictions can be softened by using the near operator, ~#, where # is a number between 0 and 99.

To use the near operator, a phrase must be enclosed in parentheses or double quotes. For example: (pretty dress )~2 and "pretty dress"~2. The number following ~ determines the number of positions that words in a response can be shifted from those in the search phrase. For example, (pretty dress)~1 will match pretty red dress or pretty red dresses.

Whenever two words in a search phrase are in a different order from a responses, it counts as two position shifts. For example, (pretty dress)~2 will match dress pretty.

If you use ~# with exact operators (see Narrow results with Exact Operators) then each punctuation mark counts as a position and exact rules will be followed. For example, "pretty dress)"~1 will match pretty red dress but not pretty red dresses or pretty, red dress

You cannot use the near operator on complex clauses including clauses with both exact and not-exact phrases. For example, ("pretty" dress)~1 and (dress or skirt)~n are both illegal operations.

Limitations
The words and, or, and not are treated specially and cannot be searched for directly unless included in exact operators. All reserved words and search operators are highlighted in blue.

The query dress will return results that include the word dress and variants of dress like dresses as well as some misspellings like driss. Results that include the characters dress as part of another unrelated word, like address, will not be included.
Badge +1
Thanks so much for your help! To clarify one quick point, you mentioned in the last paragraph that misspellings might also be captured -- is that correct? How good is the system on identifying misspellings?

https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/comment/14054#Comment_14054That's not a true wildcard though. For example I just did a search with the word "food" but then one answer happend to be "Foodstuff" and this was not incorportated. Is there an actual wildcard function?

Badge

The rules don’t work very well in a lot of different cases. A recent example is: with (slow not support), I got a response that says “Support is slow”…Really hope this can be improved, b/c these “exceptions” mean we still need to manually check all comments all over again

Leave a Reply