Timing and randomization of questions | XM Community
Solved

Timing and randomization of questions

Badge
I'm building a survey where participants will have to watch a series of 58 video clips. Each video will then be followed by a multiple-choice question (on the next page). I need to record response time for the question page and randomize the order of the questions. I'm not exactly sure how to do that and would like some input. Each video must be associated with a specific question but the video and question must be presented on a different page, so I created one block for each question. I created a first block for bio data and instructions. Then each of the following block corresponds to one question and contains the following:
text question with embedded video
/ page break /
--> timing question
--> multiple-choice question.
/ page break /

I used the randomizer in the survey flow and added it after the first block (with bio data and instructions). Under the randomizer I added all 58 blocks corresponding to the 58 video/questions. Will that work? Is there an easier way to handle this (am I making it harder than it needs to be) or am I on the right track? Will the timing question record what I need (I'm assuming the "last-click" time is the answer the participant selected, right?)

I'm very new to Qualtrics and survey design and have zero JS knowledge
icon

Best answer by TomG 7 June 2019, 18:44

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@laetinusa,

Yes, the way you've done it will work.

Depending on the nature of the differences in the multiple choice questions, an easier way may have been to use a loop & merge block, where the video url and parts of the multiple choice question are piped from loop & merge fields. This approach would only require one block.
Badge
@TomG, each video and MCQ are completely different so I don't know that a loop&merge would work.

Leave a Reply