Response Validation at end of survey | XM Community
Question

Response Validation at end of survey

• 18 June 2019
  • 4 replies

Badge +2
Hi all!

I've got a survey that respondents will wish to fill in over time, and they won't necessarily have the answers to all the questions at the beginning. Rather than force responses on all the mandatory questions, I would like them to be able to progress through the survey, but then get a validation error if they try to submit without filling in the mandatory questions.
What would be the best way of doing this?

Many thanks in advance!

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
@LTaylor - You need to make your survey with back button enabled right from start of the survey to the end, so the respondent can navigate between them.

You can use branch logic to check whether all the mandatory questions are answered or not and based on that you can show a message to use back button to navigate to those questions.

If we have TOC in our survey things gets little easier as user can navigate between the blocks.
Badge +9

rondev Using a back button, or even ToC doesn't help in this scenario as you still can't move between blocks (or even pages) without answering the required response questions. The idea here is to be able to move between pages/blocks withOUT having the forced responses complete, but receiving an error if there is an attempt to submit the survey with the required responses not present.
I also need to be able to do this on a survey, so would love more information.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

KWigg - Agreed with you.

1. Using branch logic in between may disable the back button, hence it is not recommended to use in this scenario.

2. TOC will obviously make things easier as it will help in navigation.

3. Do not check Force response option in any mandatory question.

4. By submit it obviously means the next button of last question of the survey. So in this question, onload just disable the button, using pipe text and JS check if all the mandatory questions are answered, if yes then enable the button else keep it disabled and show the message.

Feasibility of the above solution very much depends on other factors like the number of questions, branch, skip, display logic of the survey.

Badge +9

rondev Thank you - I do think those additional factors, like number of questions, branching, etc, will make that solution a bit cumbersome. By way of "work around", we're doing a response count at the end of the survey to indicate whether any answers are missing. Definitely not ideal, but should work for now.
Thanks again!!
Kate

Leave a Reply