Import a 1to1 copy of a block of questions from other survey or library | XM Community
Question

Import a 1to1 copy of a block of questions from other survey or library

• 20 June 2019
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Is there a way to fully import a block of question preserving all the settings that a block initially had?
What Im working with are template blocks of questions - with strict naming rules / recodes / js and page breaks.

It looks like all typical import options will miss something from the template upon inport.

For example:
1) importing a block of questions with keep questions export tags ON, from a template study will loose pagebreaks and block randomization.
2) exporting same block to library and importing it from library will loose naming / recodes, effectively renaming all questions to generic q1, q2....

What can I do to make sure, a once saved block of questions (set up just as it should be run) will behave exactly the same after import to an other study?

My working scenario is this: i prepare the templates of usual surveys we use. Team members are given instructions how to consruct their studies out of my templates. But that might not be capable of modifing it or it's simply too time consuming. The only way to make this workflow working is to make sure, that whatever I saved as a comple block in my Template Survey can be reused with every single setting Ive set up there.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
I have a block of questions that I use in almost every survey. The question names and recodes stay perfectly.

The only thing I can think of that I might have done differently is edited the block WITHIN the library. So if you export the block to the library, then edit the block within the library to set the recode and question names, then save, it should work as you intend.

Give that a try and let us know if it still doesn't behave properly.
Userlevel 4
Badge +9

We have the same issue with the new "Import from Library" interface. If you navigate to an existing survey and import individual questions, they will retain their export tags. But if you import a block all the questions will be renumbered Q1, Q2, etc.
Update: I discovered that when you copy a block TO the library it loses its export tags. Even if you fix them in the library block, when you import that block from the library it loses the export tags again.

Leave a Reply