MCQ must only accept first answer | XM Community
Solved

MCQ must only accept first answer

Badge
My survey includes MCQ with 4 options. I have to set it to where participants are not allowed to change their answer, so the first option they click on can be their ONLY answer. Is there a way to force that? Maybe make it to where after they select their first answer it automatically goes to the next block?
I don't know anything about JS and html. Can anyone help with this? Is that not an option with Qualtrics?

Also not sure if that impacts the design but right now all MCQ pages are preceded by a corresponding video page and that each video + MCQ form a block. Blocks are randomized and I have a response time set up for the MCQ page. Response time shows first, last click and next but I need to eliminate the option of clicking multiple answers. I am not very happy with the fact that response time records "click time" and not answer selection time: if anyone has a fix for that, it would be greatly appreciated as well.
icon

Best answer by JenCX 1 July 2019, 17:07

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi there. Yes, you can set your survey to auto-advance after an answer selection. This is a new feature in Look and Feel (though I don't think the support page is updated yet). For more info, check out this post.

As far as response time goes, I don't have a solution for you, sorry. You may want to post that as a separate topic in the Custom Code section.
Badge
@JenCX: that's great. However, do you know if it's possible to disable the back button when using that auto-advance feature?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Yep, you can change those in survey options.
Badge
Somehow it doesn't work. If I select auto-advance on questions it doesn't auto-advance (I'm using MCQ timed questions, maybe that's why?). It works if I select auto-advance on pages but then the previous button is automatically enabled. I cannot figure how to remove it from the question pages.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Edited:

Ah, I tried and see that it puts the back button on anything that's auto-advanced. You'll probably need to hide it with Javascript. I'll see if I can find a similar thread, one sec.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Here's the code to hide the back button:

https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/1916/could-not-hide-back-button
Badge
Thanks @JenCX
I had to dig around and found a different code but the back buttons are now hidden.
However, I'm running into a very weird issue suddenly. The "next button" on the second page of the survey, is somehow completely gone when I use Internet Explorer. It's still there when I use Chrome. What is going on here? I'm driving myself crazy with this!
Badge +3
Hi @laetinusa! That missing next button in Internet Explorer definitely does not sound like intended functionality. If you haven't already, be sure to reach out to our Support Team so that they can investigate the issue!

Leave a Reply