Never-ending survey | XM Community
Solved

Never-ending survey

Dear all,

I have to survey 19 different companies. Each company has a lot of custom data I use for the different questions.
Still, I need the company to be able to transfer the survey link between employee of the same company, and to reach the same response each time, even after someone has finish it.

The only way I see it possible in qualtrics is to use email invitation and to create some sort of loop so one respondent can't close the survey.

1. how do I create this loop ?
2. how can I get the link so I can consult the answer as a respondent ?

Thanks!
icon

Best answer by Akdashboard 12 July 2019, 16:26

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
It will take responses, but you can accomplish this by creating a custom retake link and using that link to share across the company. The previously entered information will exist and be editable by the next person who opens the survey.

Check out this support page: https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/data-and-analysis-module/retake-survey-link/
Dear Akdashboard,

Thank your for answering me. The problem with the retake link is that it leads to a blank survey. I would like the answers already provided earlier to be visible and editable. To resume the response.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
The retake link won't lead to a blank survey. If built correctly, it will populate the earlier provided answers and be editable.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
> @Guillaume said:
> Dear Akdashboard,
>
> Thank your for answering me. The problem with the retake link is that it leads to a blank survey. I would like the answers already provided earlier to be visible and editable. To resume the response.

There's two types of retake links. One 'Retake response' keeps all the previous answers but allows them to be viewed/changed and starts at the beginning of the survey. The other, 'Retake as new response' starts completely over with a blank survey. Just be sure to use the 'Retake response' instead of 'retake as new response' and you should be good.
Dear Akdashboard & JenCX,

Thank you for your answers. I can indeed see the on-going answer if I generate a "retake survey" link. This link will work only one time tho, and if I go through the survey again and try to use the link again, I find myself in a blank survey. And when I say blank, I mean with not even the custom data filled in.

Am I encountering a bug ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
No you are just just creating it the link using the "retake as a new response" URL. You need to use the "retake response" link.

!
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
> @Guillaume said:
> Dear Akdashboard & JenCX,
>
> Thank you for your answers. I can indeed see the on-going answer if I generate a "retake survey" link. This link will work only one time tho, and if I go through the survey again and try to use the link again, I find myself in a blank survey. And when I say blank, I mean with not even the custom data filled in.
>
> Am I encountering a bug ?

It may be a caching issue. Does your link follow the format below?
!
This is what the retake response link looks like and it can be used multiple times. The 'retake as new response' doesn't have the DEL=1 at the end of it
Akdashboard, JenCX,

Once again thank you for your time. I think I'm using the right link:
!
The first time I'm using it, everything goes as you describe it. But if I submit the response, and use the exact same link again, that when I land on a blank survey.

So I guess I do encounter a bug.

In the end, I have found a way through a different approach. I'm disabling the last next/submit button with javascript, so the respondent can't close the response.

Thanks !
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Okay...I was able to recreate what's happening to you. When I click on 'retake response', it generates the exact same link, no matter how many times I've clicked 'retake response' or have retaken the survey. BUT I must click 'retake response' and re-generate the link for it to hold onto the responses. I wonder if clicking the 'retake response' does something on the back end? If I use the link without clicking 'retake response', the responses are gone.

Glad you did figure out a solution for getting around that! But it's a bummer that using that link can't be automated.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
> @Guillaume said:
> Akdashboard, JenCX,
>
> Once again thank you for your time. I think I'm using the right link:
> !
> The first time I'm using it, everything goes as you describe it. But if I submit the response, and use the exact same link again, that when I land on a blank survey.
>
> So I guess I do encounter a bug.
>
> In the end, I have found a way through a different approach. I'm disabling the last next/submit button with javascript, so the respondent can't close the response.
>
> Thanks !

This is because the retake link references a specific ResponseID. Each time the survey is retaken, a new ResponseID is assigned. You need to pull the ResponseID in as embedded data and create the retake link dynamically int he Survey Flow. _Note_ - I would consider this a best practice, even though it is different than how the Qualtrics Support Page says to do it.

I am sorry that I am not describing things in more detail, but I am buried under a lot of work at the moment.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
> @Akdashboard said:
>
> This is because the retake link references a specific ResponseID. Each time the survey is retaken, a new ResponseID is assigned. You need to pull the ResponseID in as embedded data and create the retake link dynamically int he Survey Flow. _Note_ - I would consider this a best practice, even though it is different than how the Qualtrics Support Page says to do it.
>

Ah, I see what you're saying. Because you're not retaking the original response, you're retaking each response right after you complete it, right? I wasn't thinking about that when I was replying, but you're totally right.

To clarify that I'm thinking through this correctly: if you have a response with response id Qweis68DJs8x and you retake it, it generates a new response with response id Zdhgimsk38shu7zy. You don't want to then retake Qweis68DJs8x because you'd lose any changes you made in Zdhgimsk38shu7zy.

So @Guillaume, you can build the link with embedded data as @Akdashboard describes where the URL of your survey link up to and including R=R_ is static, then use piped text to pull in the Response ID, then add &Q_R_DEL=1 at the end as static text again. Give that a try and let us know!
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
@JenCX - Exactly!

@Guillaume

To pull in the ResponseID in your survey flow, you will need to do 2 things.
1. Add an embedded data element to the top of your survey flow and add an embedded data field that is exactly "ResponseID" (this is a Qualtrics software generated field, so it needs to be exact).
2. Create another embedded data element (important - ANOTHER element) anywhere under your first element. Then build the retake link to look like this ( AnonSurveyLinkURL?Q_R=${e://Field/ResponseID}&Q_R_DEL=1 ). - You will need to add your specific URL link, but otherwise you can copy everything else from my example.
Hey guys,

Your explanation were clear, but I still have 2 questions.

1. What do I write there ?
!

2. What URL do I use to reach this response once it's done? The static retake response URL ?

You are amazing!
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
1. You can write whatever you want (but why be tricky, just call it "Retake_Link" 😉 ). You are just naming the data being created (think of it as adding a column header in excel and each survey is a row where this URL is populated under that column header.
2. The URL you use will change slightly after each survey response. This is because each URL is unique based on the ResponseID of the last take survey. I know the intent is to share this within an organization, where people can keep retaking and edit the previous response. To do this in a way that is 1) easy to share and 2) automatically updates with the most up-to-date URL, I would ...
* Create a new report in the project's report section.
* Hide all pages, and create a custom page.
* Create a simple Chart with AT LEAST the Retake Link and the Date Edited (End Date). If appropriate, I would include who last edited (took) the survey.
* Make the report a Public Report (Manage Public Reports)
* Share the URL of the Public Report. - The report will update in real time as the survey is taken over and over.

Rough Example:
!

Example of Public Report:
!
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
I also have a trick to change URL to be hyperlinked text, if you are interested. I don't love showing long ugly URLs in reports.

Leave a Reply