Dynamic Option Answers | XM Community
Question

Dynamic Option Answers

Userlevel 3
Hello Qualtrics Community,

Given a question with options where the answer labels can be updated with dynamic data such as

!

it's great we can dynamically replace the text/label of the answers via embedded data.

Would it be possible to create a question with dynamic number of options/answers?

So the example/screenshot above would look like:

> What's your favorite sport?
>
> o ${e://Field/sportVar1}
> ...
> o ${e://Field/sportVarN}

Thank you all for your time!

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
You can do display logic with choices. What would be the indicator to show _n_ choices?
Userlevel 3
Hello @Akdashboard,

I want to make a web service call where the number of choices will vary either over time or depending on the respondent's previous answers. Does that answer your question?

Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
You should be able to do this with display logic still, as in either event, you will have a value to key off of. Such as, if Web Call return is (whatever, let's say it is a number though) 4, then you could build logic at each choice; Choice #1 = display if (value) is greater than or equal to 1, #2 | 2, #3 | 3, etc.

Since I don't know you logic, I can't help further.
Userlevel 3
The documentation here shows a static list of options: https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/question-options/display-logic/

What I am unsure about is how can I dynamically change the list of options based on the data that I get from a web service call.

At this point I am not going to apply any logic to the data I receive from the web service call. I just want to show whatever number of options to the user based on the WS call. Say today the WS call for userA returned 5 options, then I'll present those 5 options to the user. A week from now, for another respondent, userB, the WS call returned 8 options, I want all those 8 options available for userB.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Can I see send me the .qsf? I want to see if you are setting anything that could be used to apply display logic. The simple answer is that in order for something to be dynamic, it needs to have something to reference.

Are you setting any embedded data from your web service call?
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
And sorry, t be clear, this would not be "dynamic" per say, as you would have to program a static number of choices. To the best of knowledge, you will always have to do this because each choice has a unique and distinct value assigned (for example, choice 1 = 1, choice 2 = 2, etc.). This is how Qualtrics records which choice(s) were selected for a given response. This allows for the aggregation of like-values.

Anything other than this would ultimately created unclear data.
Userlevel 3
Thank you for your patience and assistance @Akdashboard. Your response "you will always have to do this because each choice has a unique and distinct value assigned (for example, choice 1 = 1, choice 2 = 2, etc.). This is how Qualtrics records which choice(s) were selected for a given response. This allows for the aggregation of like-values." tells me what I see that the number of options has to be statically determined up-front.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Yes, but you can hide/show certain choices based on either an answer or data. So it would feel like a dynamic experience.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi, 
Can you please let me knowhot to hide options 

@iboafra  Please let me know if you were able to achieve this

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@AchyuthMorab There’s little arrow next to your choice that let you add display logic of that choice
Follow this: https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/question-options/display-logic/#SettingAnswerChoiceDisplayLogic

Hope it helps

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Thanks a lot ; 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@AchyuthMorab No problem 👍

Leave a Reply