How to carry forward selected "combinations" from a matrix-multiple-choice question using JavaScript | XM Community
Question

How to carry forward selected "combinations" from a matrix-multiple-choice question using JavaScript

• 17 July 2019
  • 1 reply

Hi everyone,

I'm having some difficulty developing this question using Javascript and I urgently need some help.

So I have this Matrix Table Likert question that accepts multiple answers. Let's say it has four rows and three columns, each row represents a country and each column represents an industry.

Electricity Oil Gas
Canada
United States
Mexico
Brazil

What I need is
1) to count the number of selections by each column and store them as variables; and
2) to collect the selected combinations and store them in separate embedded data fields, so for example, if the respondent has checked the radio button in the first row and first column, "Canada - electricity" will be recorded in an embedded data field with a name such as "combination1".

In a usual multiple-choice question, I can carry forward the selected choices to the questions afterward using either piped-text or carry-forward statements/scale-points; what I want to do here is technically the same, except that I want it to record and carry-forward the "combination selections" in this matrix multiple-choice question. However, I don't think Qualtrics offers this functionality in matrix questions, so the only way for me to carry these selections forward would be to use JavaScript and record them in embedded data. Unfortunately changing the format of the question is not an option as I am trying hard to limit the number of questions in this survey.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jerry

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
It sounds like you want to carryover the selected combinations to a follow-up question. You could include all 12 combinations as choices (or statements if a matrix) in the follow-up question, then use display logic on each combination based on the selections in the original question.

Leave a Reply