Losing all CSS when Importing email message from library to distribution | XM Community
Solved

Losing all CSS when Importing email message from library to distribution

• 13 August 2019
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Hello everyone!

I've been fighting with this for a while now and regardless of what I tried it simply doesn't work.

I must create a customize email (with a banner image, specific colors, spefific button shape , etc) so that the email looks exactly like the ones our client would sent to his newsletter contacts.

I've created such email in my message library as a genral email. Added all the required CSS. When I look at the message there, it seems to be properly set.

I then go in Distribution to send an email without a survey and import the message from my library. Automatically, all my CSS is being removed and my email looks awful! As well, I need to use embedded data from the contact list in the email but it doesn't seem to be able to pick them up. If I insert contact info such as the name it will work but not the embedded data.

Anyone ever had this issue or need? How can I fix this?

Thanks in advance!
icon

Best answer by Tchoupie 14 August 2019, 17:23

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
I'm not sure why it's stripping all the CSS out of there, but I can tell you that I've done this several times with HTML and it's worked beautifully.

Also, tell us more about the embedded data not working. Can you post the piped text you're using that isn't pulling in the information from the panel?
Userlevel 1
@JenCX

For the embedded data, I simply use the pipe text tool to get the proper text for the data I need
${e://Field/myembeddedfield}
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
That's very odd. You did say you're sending this to a list through Qualtrics, right? Are you seeing the email not pull in the embedded data outside of the test email?

How are you loading the panel information? Are you using XM directory or just a contact list?
Userlevel 1
@JenCX

I'm using XM Directory for my contact list. In the test email I don't see the data being pulled. When I send the distribution (with one single test contact), the embedded data is not being pulled but data such as the name of the contact works. I think I will set the information I need in the external reference field which is available with the regular contact info. I believe this will work.

As for the HTML email, if I create my message by inserting tables, row and cell via the buttons in the compose email window and setting the styles on these elements directly it seems to stay in as I design it. If I copy and paste the email source code instead, all my styling will disapear.

I guess once I'll have a template fully working, just changing the text on it will not be that bad as long as I do not have to add a new section.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Okay, sounds like you're close! Test emails don't show embedded data because they're not sent to a contact, so I'm not surprised that you don't see the data there. Your contact data showing up in the distribution you're sending to a test contact means that it's linking to the contact correctly. I would double-check that the embedded data field names are all the same and not butting up against any special formatting that might change it.

If that still doesn't work, I recommend reaching out to support. They'll be able to log in to your account and troubleshoot really easily. Even if you can swap the data to External Data Reference, it's probably good to figure out what's wrong so you can continue to use embedded data (or more than one field) in your emails in the future.
Userlevel 1
@JenCx

OMG!!! I just realize the name of my embedded data had capital letters in it! That's why it wasn't working!

Thank you so much for telling me to double check the names !!! It had not cross my mind at all!

Thanks again for your help and moral support! 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Yay! I'm so glad you figured it out!

Leave a Reply